9

When Cole started coughing up blood, I knew that it was worse than he was letting on.

"Let's get him up," Jake said, sounding slightly nervous.

"You take that side."

We both positioned ourselves on either side of Cole, who could barely mumble out 'I'm fine'. Yeah sure you're fine, everyone coughs up blood every once in a while.

Once we managed to get him too his feet, his body doubled over, folding like paper, as he spit blood onto the pavement.

"Oh...crap," Jake muttered out, holding onto Cole. He put one of Cole's arms over his shoulders, and I did the same.

We limped out of the park, slowly, not speaking a word.

"Where to?" I questioned.

"We'll take him to my house. My parents aren't home. I'll text his mom saying that he's staying over at mine."

I nodded, agreeing that this was the only possibility.

"Lead the way."

<><><>

Luckily, Jake's house wasn't very far from the skate park. If it had been...well, let's say I would've been in a worse state then Cole. Lugging him home took about an hour, which was a short amount of time considering the pace we kept.

After we arrived, I had been reluctant to leave Cole, but Jake assured me that he had the situation under control, and I believed him. So, I left, telling him to keep me updated on Cole's condition.

I felt terrible the whole ride home on my skateboard, knowing that it was entirely my fault.

The faces under the hoods, as I now understood, were no strangers. The tallest one of the group, the one I had assumed the leader, was none other than Landon Collins himself.

Landon, the one who had taken me to the dance. Landon, the one who had been my friend. Landon the one that had kissed me. Landon, the one who had punched Cole in the stomach.

My head was pounding with thoughts as I made my way into my house. Cole would never forgive me.

And I couldn't blame him.

If I had only just gone out with Landon, none of this would have happened! I mean, Landon is a nice guy right? Well, not really anymore...ugh!

"Devin Grace Harper, where have you been?!" My mom yelled as I walked in the door. I winced as her sharp tone and raised my arms up in defense.

"I was at the skate park, and Cole tripped and fell and hurt his leg, so I had to help him get home," I explained, proud of how quickly I came up with the lie.

"Oh, well I guess that's okay...but you should have texted me. Will Cole be all right? Why didn't any of the other boys help out?" She questioned.

"The twins had already left, it was just Jake and I. He couldn't have lifted Cole up by himself," I reasoned.

"It must have been a pretty bad fall if he couldn't walk," she said, her face one of concern.

"Yeah, it was. I'm really tired from lugging him around for so long, I think I'm going to go to bed. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, sweetie."

After tumbling up the stairs and into my room, I collapsed on my bed. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths. I would have to confront Landon tomorrow. God, I can't believe this. Cole...he was really hurt. What if it's worse than we thought? What if he...