Chapter 14

"Guys, I have great news!" Eli burst into the kitchen, where we were all gathered discussing changing border patrol. Surprisingly, Mia was behind him without Jamie.

She hasn't stepped foot in here since that day she caught Eli and I in a compromising position, her face had a slightly nervous look to it that added to my tension of them being here. "We've worked out our trust issues and we're moving in together." Eli announced, happily grabbing onto Mia's hand and bringing her further into the room.

'Mia's pregnant.' Ryder's words filtered through our mind link, it was difficult to control my facial expression and I could tell the others were struggling as well. "I'm also pregnant." Mia said quietly, a blush creeping onto her cheeks.

We were still stunned into silence but thankfully from Ryder's early warning we were able to recover quickly and mutter congratulations. 'This bitch sure loves your leftovers, Aurora.' Josephine said through the link.

Shock slammed me into as I heard the harsh words come from Josephine, I eyed her with a disapproving look. 'We aren't like that Josephine' I hissed her and pinned her with a glare. She ducked her head in shame. "I'm glad you guys managed to work it out." I said smoothly, not a hint of being emotionless or careless. Eli may have betrayed us, but he deserved his chance of happiness. Out of all of us it would have always been Eli to cave into his mate, he never had one. Eli has never experienced the love of a mate, not the way we have.

Mia smiled tentatively at me, while Eli beamed. "Thank you, Aurora." I nodded my head at his response and looked away. "I should get some sleep." I murmured quietly before leaving the kitchen and heading upstairs.

My head was still wrapping around everything, I felt lost. A small part of me was always hoping that maybe Eli would come back, that I would get my right hand man back. Ryder was great, but he didn't challenge me the way Eli used to. Running my hand through my hair, I let out a sigh. After this, Eli would remain here and we would be going on our way to back to our lives.

"Aurora?" Ryder's voice came from my doorway. Carefully wiping my expression away, I turned around to face him. "Can we talk?" His voice sounded choked. I nodded my head for him to go ahead with whatever he wanted to say. "Am I wrong for wanting my mate?" his eyes looked into mine, pleading with me to give him guidance.

The look on my face softened, "No, Ryder. There is nothing wrong with that, having a mate is a beautiful and wonderful thing. I know you didn't really get a chance at that."

My heart broke at the look on his face. "I thought Sharron was the one, it was love at first sight for me and she acted like she loved me just the same. I wish I would have known better, there was no connection. When Sharron met her mate and left me for him, I was so lost and heartbroken because I thought she was my mate. If she was my mate, how could she leave me? But it was never her, it was Trina the entire time. Once again, I've lost my chance with someone I love, but this time it's with the right girl."

I felt cold at the knowledge that Ryder was pining for Trina, I hadn't intended for him to express his want for his mate; his desperate need for a mate. "If all that with Sharron wouldn't have happened, then we wouldn't have met, The Elites wouldn't have been made, and you never would have met Trina." Was it selfish of me to try and dissuade Ryder from being with Trina? Yes, it was. It was incredibly selfish of me, but I've already lost Eli.

Ryder sighed, "You're right Aurora." He got up and gave me a sad look, "Good night." Were his parting words.

My heart felt heavy from our conversation and I could only hope I got some sleep.

Coming off patrol, I spotted Mia walking with her daughter. I began jogging to catch up to her, "Hey Mia." I called out to her once I was close enough to not have to shout to be heard.