I

"Life."

BANG

I opened my eyes abruptly.

Checking my phone which laid on my sprawled bedsheets, the clock read 2:38 AM.

In a startled manner, I pulled the comforter off of my oversized t-shirt clad body, mentally thanking myself for wearing fluffy socks so that I could creep over to the bedroom door undetected.

"Shit, I think this ones taken, boys."

Out of instinct, I grabbed the baseball bat from behind the door, and I made my descent down the oak stairs, oh so cliché, I know.

My eyes scanned over the scene in front of me once I'd reached halfway and from what I could make out in the darkness, I spotted four figures dressed in black, with large duffel bags in their hands.

With a heartbeat that had skyrocketed in seconds, I found it hard to form a coherent sentence.

"W-what are you doing?"

They all turned to me and looked straight at the bat which my hand clung onto for dear life.

"Woah, no need for violence, little lady." Someone who was situated further back from the staircase exclaimed along with a nervous chuckle.

It wasn't the same person I'd heard moments ago, so I assumed he wasn't in charge of whatever these people were out to do.

"Turn the light on."

My eyes darted around the hallway, quickly taking in each of their faces – they were all male. However, I slightly relaxed noticing that none of them had a particularly large build, or harsh face, meaning they weren't as intimidating as their voices – and my imagination – made them out to be.

They were all quite tall, lean and tatted up, but one was inked significantly more than the rest.

Staring down at my attire, I grew wary as I realised I was stood in front of several men (but I'd never let that show). With my confidence slowly returning, I spoke up again, "So, I'll ask again, what are you doing?"

"We're looking for somewhere to crash, but this place is already occupied, as we can now see." The severely tatted guy spoke up, who I also realised was the one I heard in the beginning.

"And you are?"

"What does it matter to you?" His tone was hard and sharp.

"You just broke into my house."

"Doesn't look like much of a house from out front."

He had a point, I'd been lucky enough to find this building, abandoned, around two years ago when I'd ran away from home, (that maybe wasn't the smartest decision I'd ever made in my 19 years of existing, but whatever) albeit, after a few calls and whatnot, I'd managed to regain power, water, and heating – it's not perfect, but beggars can't be choosers.

"And it looks like you're desperate." I smirked, mocking him ever so slightly. Watching his jaw clench, my smirk grew. I loved riling people who thought they were bigger than me.

"Bieber, Justin Bieber."

Scoffing at his choice of words, "Last time I checked, I wasn't in a James Bond movie."

"Why don't you shu–"

Nerve struck!

"Watch it, I was gonna offer you a place for the night." I snapped, "But I'm gonna take that offer back."

"No, please, I'm so fucking tired." Another piped up, which made Justin turn around and hit him in the chest, "Man up."

"At least he has manners," I crossed my arms over my chest, "There are three spare rooms, knock yourselves out – and I'm only doing this because I've been in your position before, not that it's any of your business, though."

Which was true, after running away at 17, I was left on the streets for the first month – until I found this place. I stumbled upon it when I was running away from the cops (I stole food, a girls gotta eat) I fell down on a dirt path, but I followed it to try and remain unnoticed and well, that's where I stayed.

"Thank you."

"Thanks."

"Life saver."

Three of them gushed, brushing past me to find their shelter for the night. "So you're the only one without manners?"

Justin rolled his eyes and shoved past me, "Watch it!" I snapped, following him, "And that's my room."

"Looks like we're roommates, then." He retorted, slinging his duffel down and kicking off his shoes.

"No, go and share with one of them." I pointed into the hall indicating that his alone time with me was over.

"No can do, I'm comfy." He smiled, lying on my bed.

Groaning aloud, I sat on the side of my bed and reached into my drawer, pulling out my stuff and setting it on my bare legs. I'm not usually a night smoker, well, early morning, but this kid was stressing me out beyond belief. They've barely known me 10 minutes and I already want to tell Justin where he can stick it.

"Roll me one." I heard him say.

Bitch had the nerve.

"In your dreams, this is all I have left." I spat, proceeding to make my joint.

"Someones uptight."

"Someones making me uptight."

The bed shifted and much to my dislike, Justin was sat beside me. "At least let me have a puff."

I turned to him and stared with a blank expression, "I don't even know you, what makes you think I'm going to share my smoke? You're not that special, pretty boy."

His arm snaked around my waist and he pulled me to him, causing me to shriek and try and break out of his grip, "Pretty boy? C'mon baby, you and I both know I'm irresistible."

I won't lie, he's attractive. It's a shame his personality shits on it.

"Well, what I do know is that I'm not yours to call baby." I snapped, slapping his arm off of me and reached for my lighter.

Walking to my ledge, I sat on it, bringing my knees to my chest. Opening up the window, I blew smoke out of it, the crisp morning air hitting my petite frame.

"So, why are you running?" I asked, turning to Justin, who hadn't moved, but was already looking at me. Sending him an odd look, I glanced back out of the window to avoid any more eye contact.

"Life. Why are you living alone out here?"

"Life."