Hunting Techniques

Hunting Between Different Groups:

ThunderClan Hunting:  Mice, Voles, Shrews, Squirrels, Birds, Rabbits[rare]

RiverClan Hunting:  Fish, Voles, Mice [Land prey is only a last resort during winter]

ShadowClan Hunting: Frogs, Voles, Shrews, Birds, small Fish[rare], Rabbits[rare]

WindClan Hunting: Rabbits, Field Mice, Birds

Tribe of Rushing Water Hunting: Rabbits, Mice ,Voles, Shrews, Birds of Prey

Hunting Techniques:

A general rule, stay upwind from your prey so they don't catch your scent.

Mice/Field Mice: When stalking a mouse, you have to be light on your feet.  A mouse will feel the vibrations in the ground before they see or hear you.

Rabbits: If you are fast enough, simply chasing the rabbit and catching up to it will work, but for slower cats, you must stalk slowly and very, very quietly.  A misplaced paw will give you away.

Fish: Fishing takes patience, sit by the side of a river or stream and make sure you shadow doesn't cast itself into the water.  Wait until a fish is close enough and plunge your paw into the water and scoop out the fish.  Make sure to kill it quickly, fish can still jump back into the water!
[From Crookedstar's Promise] To catch fish that live near the deep, you can dive into the river and go above a shoal of fish and pick them off from above.

Frogs: These things are tricky to catch, not only to they leap, they live in marshy areas.  A big jump into the frog will do the trick, but you might have to chase it if that doesn't work.

Birds of Prey: They MUST be hunted in groups! One cat cannot take down a hawk or a falcon. While stalking a mouse, a bird of prey may want the same mouse.  If this happens, a cat can initiate the attck and jump into its back.  Others will come and get onto its wings, preventing flight and one will give the death bite.  It is truly a group work. 

Voles/Shrews:  With voles and shrews, which are much alike, hunt them quickly in a crouching position. Make sure to kill them quickly, for they are known to squeal, which ruins the rest of the hunt.

Squirrels: Speed is the key for squirrels, you may start out slow but you must strike quickly or they will scamper into trees.  They can be pursued into the branches, but it much more difficult and you have more chance on being injured.

Birds: They can be hunted in short bursts of stalking to get close. If you aren't close enough, during the final leap the bird could fly away easily.  Even if you stalk them close enough, be ready for a leap to hook your kill.