THREE: DEFIANCE

CHAPTER THREE: DEFIANCE

            I stood beside my father, my body tense as I listened to what he had to tell the pack.  We were gathered in a small clearing just west of the den.  It was near the southern border of our territory, the north border was marked in by a deep black river.  There were no packs within range of ours, and we could have easily extended our hunting grounds further north in the hopes of catching more game, but the river could be tricky to cross and we didn’t want to risk members of our pack purely for game.  If a wolf drowned, their soul was trapped in the waters forever.  No one wished that fate upon them.

            My father was standing before the pack, giving them up to date information on what was to be done.  He had sent out word to the far corners of our den, collecting the young and old for this meeting.

            “Honon and his family are dead, this is true,” the slight murmur that had been growing in the crowd ceased.  “As are the rest of Oki’s party.  This is proof of what the hunters do, of why we must stay and live within our means.  A hunter will not stop to question the marring of a child.”  His eyes swept over the crowd, gauging the pack’s reaction.

            “This is why sanctions and a curfew are going into effect immediately.  From now on hunting of large game will cease for the season.” A gasp rang through the crowd as people began to complain and rant.  Without large game we would starve, some said, without large game how would we replace clothing and bedding before winter, others noted.  It couldn’t be done.  It had to be done.

            My father raised a hand and the pack shushed, all eyes returned to him once again.

            “I know this will be hard for us.  Already game has been scarce for the last two seasons, but we have made due.  The hunters will be gone soon after the snowshoe rabbits turn white,” that was over three moon cycles away.  A cry of despair erupted once more, interrupting my father.  No one believed that we could make it.

            “Until that time a curfew of dusk will be under effect, given that all attacks have occurred at the nighttime hour.”  That seemed reasonable, even though it was easiest to catch game at night, getting them unawares.

            “Sanctions will keep members that have not yet come of age within the den at all times.  No one will leave that boundary.  A select few pack members will be allowed exemption from these rules when I see fit.  Hunting will commence, but less often and within our borders only. Any questions?”

            No one spoke, heck, no one took a breath.  I myself was in shock, but I wouldn’t let them see it.  I had to remain as level headed as the alpha, I had to be strong and go with the flow.  No arguments could be made.

            My eyes scanned the pack, taking in the distressed faces of the women and the men.  The children were oblivious, some shifty and impatient, just waiting to go back home and wrestle it out for a few more hours.  Others, the ones in their mid-teens, seemed devastated.  This meant that the pack hunt was canceled.  The event that occurred once a year that allowed shifters who had not yet come of age to go out into the woods and push the borders of our territory.  It wouldn’t happen this year, and they were to be cooped up with a curfew as well.

            None of these new rules applied to me.  I would do as my father told, if I had to leave after dusk, so be it, I would do it because he asked.  That was what betas did, we regulated and observed.  We did as we were told and commanded others, spreading word and obedience.  

            My stomach growled and I knew that I wasn’t the only one.  This was going to be a long three moons.

            “This meeting is adjourned.” My father bellowed and the pack’s silence was broken as shifters began to mutter to each other, their voices low as if that would keep us from hearing their complaints.