Chapter 50

PewDie’s P.O.V

I glanced over the edge of the slope, seeing Cry sitting at the bottom, his back turned to me as he looked out across the lake. It was still dull, the clouds refusing to shift and let the morning light through.  It didn’t look right, seeing him down there, alone in the dull clearing, the mist hovering around him like some kind of trap.

“This is such a mess,” I groaned and turned back to Snake who was kneeling beside Ken, wrapping his wounded leg in gauze as Ken hissed and complained. He had woken a few minutes ago after being shot in the leg then knocked unconscious by Snake. This really wasn’t his day.

 Shaun still seemed out-of-it but I wasn’t too worried. I was more concerned by the fact that Ken had been working against us. He and Shaun had planned their attack...probably during the time Cry and I were away.

“You should speak with your friend.” Snake’s voice pulled me from my thoughts.  I just shook my head, not wanting to be around Cry right now. How many times had I warned him? Yet he never listened. Maybe if he had, we could have prevented this.  

No...This isn’t Cry’s fault. Ken...he’s the one who put a gun to your head.

“Why did you do it?” I asked, walking over to Ken and staring down at him. He’d grown pale from the loss of blood, his hands shaking slightly but he was still strong enough to complain, showing that his injuries weren’t life-threatening.

I quickly averted my eyes, unable to cope with the betrayal I felt as he looked up at me. I know, I’d suspected him but, to have my suspicions confirmed... it was difficult to process. I’d hoped that Cry was right, that I had been worrying about nothing...

“I...Pewds, you can’t go into the last simulation. Please...just hear me out,” he begged.

“I don’t want to listen to your bullshit excuses anymore. Tell me the truth.”

“You’d have been fine if I shot you, just like I’d have been fine if you’d let Cry shoot me but I couldn’t allow you to become a finalist. You have no idea what I know....what I saw when you two were in Sweden. This isn’t just a ‘game’ Pewds. This isn’t just some competition...we were all picked for a reason, all of us, and...”

“Ken!” I snapped. I couldn’t listen to anymore of this. He was rambling like a fool! Spitting me lies on the odd chance I’d believe him.

“No. You listen to me...Look. Shaun and I found this in the simulation when we first got here. It confirms everything we saw last week. I’m not lying to you.” He pulled a small, tattered notebook from his coat pocket and threw it my way. Picking it up slowly, I studied the cover, finding the words ‘Louise’s Diary’ written on the front in shiny gold letters.

The static in my headphones started and a strong French accent whispered, “A glitch. This isn’t supposed to be in this simulation...there’s been a glitch.”

Without replying, I opened up the diary. Pages and pages of neatly spaced writing lined each page.

“Check the last entry,” Ken instructed and I flipped to the back.

Dear Diary...it seems so cliché to say that now...with everything that’s happened. Amz and I...we’re stuck, stuck in this run-down fairground...the simulation never ends. We were never taken out of here when the others won...we’re trapped. But why? I don’t understand. We’ve waited for days but we’re still here. Still trapped. It makes me wonder...are our friend, the ones who left before us, are they trapped too? Have they been trapped all this time? In each simulation? Anna and Paul....They won’t help us...they never took us out! Someone...anyone...please help us! Am I going to be stuck in this damn simulation forever? Does anyone even realise we’re missing? This is no game. This is more like a prison.