Chapter 1

Because I'm happy
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
Because I'm happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
Because I'm happy

~~HAPPY~~pharrel williams

____________________________________________________

Rukayya's P.O.V

"Hajiya." I squealed as I hugged my grandmother, from my father's side. I really missed her so bad it had been almost six months I didn't visit, now i was finally here, in kano, to spend some days with her before my admission comes out.

"I missed you little rakiya." She said as she lightly pinched my left cheek, making me pout. Seriously i hated it when she called me that 'little rakiya'

"Seriously hajiya mama.." I feigned a hurt look, she laughed and slapped my head playfully.

"Come on! How many weeks are you going to spend here with me?"

"Well, I'll be spending only two weeks, baba said i have to visit ya husna too, so i'll be spending two weeks here and a week there in katsina."

"Ok but..." She paused, scrutinizing me.

"What?" I asked with a confused face.

She gave me the i'm-so-gonna-kill-you face, "You have lost weight right? Why? You have not been eating?"

I chuckled, she always said that when i came visit because, ehm, I was her favorite grandchild obviously, "No hajia mama! I have been eating is just that... Okay yeah i have kinda lost weight but just a little." I used my fingers to demonstrate.

She smiled and literally dragged me to the kitchen, "You will be eating a lot this evening, tell me what do you want to eat? I will cook anything you want."

"Awww! Thats why i love you." I hugged her tightly, not minding that she was now feeble. She really was one of a kind. I loved when she pampered me, I loved being cosseted.

That was how we spent the night, we cooked tuwon semo and miyan kuka together, it was so delicious. Honestly, she always made wicked tuwo and her soups were just out of this world. I learned a lot from her. I offered to wash the dishes we used while she started to tell me some funny stories about her childhood which made me laugh real hard especially where she told me about the dandali they used to go to back then  (A traditional event that happens at night mostly in villages). They used to draw some funny marks on their faces and tie their veils on their waists. They danced, some of them even found suitors from there.

It was really funny, i could picture hajiya mama with her friends in the there.

It was ten past eleven so we all decided to retire for the day.

*****

The next morning, after we had our breakfast, hajia mama asked me to help her go give safina, her friend that was living not far from her house the fura (porridge) leftover that she had left last night, her maid had travelled to her hometown and the little boy she used to send wasn't around, so i was literally the only one who could go and give it to her.