✨ c h a p t e r t h i r t y t h r e e ✨

We were back in Belmar. I was just coming back from a walk when I saw Anna and Asher together. They were standing side by side, their hands intertwined. I was about to keep going when I saw him kiss her.

By the time I got home, I couldn't manage to stop smiling. I was glad they're together. They're the perfect pair. I went upstairs and took a quick shower. Roman was getting out of work in a few hours and he supposedly has a surprise for me. To say I was excited would be an extreme understatement.

As I looked at myself in the mirror after my shower, I realized how much I've changed in the past two months. The dark circles underneath my eyes faded slightly. my scars weren't as prominent as they were before. I looked much healthier than I did. Hell, I was even smiling, even though it was faint. I seemed to have gained a bit of weight, but it suited me. For once, I felt and looked happier and healthier than I did before.

I slipped on a pair of shorts and a white lace spliced loose-fitting chiffon tank top. For the first time in a long time, I didn't wear anything that covered my arms. Since my scars were lighter and practically fading, I felt as if it was okay for me to let free. I brushed my wet hair and blowdried it at the same time. Once it was dry, I put it into a french braid. I added some eyeliner and mascara before grabbing my flats. I made my way downstairs.

It was nearing six in the evening. My aunt usually got back at five unless she's having a long day; my uncle comes home at seven. For a while I just watched television. I didn't have much else to do. Roman usually got back the same time as my aunt. I decided to wait for her to come home before I left. For the past couple of days, I've been constantly letting them know where I was going. They never required me too but I felt like I should ─ it was the right thing to do.

I was chipping the nail polish off my pointer finger, watching reruns of the Simpsons when the front door opened.

"You home Abby?" Aunt Leah called out.

"No," I replied. I heard her chuckle as she came into the living room.

She kissed the top of my head. "You look nice," she commented. She put her bag down on the table and sat down next to me.

"I'm supposed to go meet Roman in a few minutes," I informed. "He said something about a surprise."

"Well have fun baby," she said.

After a few minutes of making small talk, I began making my way to Roman's. I rang the doorbell, waiting patiently on his front steps. I was surprised to see his mother opening the door.

"Hi sweetheart!" she greeted, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Hi Mrs. Carter," I replied, returning the hug.

"Oh Abigail, how many times do I have to tell you to call me Moira, or at least mom," she teased. I couldn't help the blush that formed on my cheeks. "Roman's upstairs. I'm about to leave though. I'll see you soon."

"Of course, Mrs. ─ Moira. It was nice seeing you," I said. She squeezed my arm briefly before leaving.

I made my way up the stairs slowly. I wasn't in a rush and considering Roman was in the shower ─ I could hear the water running ─ I figured he wasn't rushing either. I made my way into his room. His uniform for work was scattered on the floor. I chuckled at his messiness. I crawled into his spacious and comfortable bed, hugging his pillow as I waited. His bed smelled so much like him ─ woodsy with a mix of Axe perfume. I was playing Soda Crush ─ don't judge me ─ on my phone when Roman appeared wearing nothing but a towel.

"Well if this was your idea of seducing me after my shower, you could have at least taken your clothes off," he teased, coming over to me. I rolled my eyes but returned the kiss he placed on my lips.