Chapter 31: Moving On (BONUS SCENE)

Dear Readers: This chapter is a bonus scene that didn't appear in the original version of the story.

Penny pushed her way past the doorman and the middle-aged woman standing beneath the front awning of David's apartment building, careful to keep her gaze lowered. She recognized the beaky nose and hawk-like stare of David's nosy neighbor, Mrs. Peterson. The last thing Penny wanted was eye contact. She knew what kind of look she could expect in return - that silent glare, accusing her of breaking some unwritten rule. Some violation of the co-op board by-laws, no doubt. David hadn't bothered explaining the ins-and-outs of all the rules that goverened the wealthy residents of his luxury high-rise building, but Penny got the general idea:

No subletters.

No couch surfers.

No renting out your living room for the weekend on Airbnb.

No houseguests who overstayed their welcome - and especially not the kind who caused a scene at 4 AM, dressed in nothing but a string bikini top....

"Not to worry, Mrs. Peterson," Penny muttered under her breath. "I'll be out of your hair soon enough." Out of David's hair as well. Out of his life, once and for all, and he could get back to being his usual rule-abiding self.

In less than 24 hours, Penny would be back on a plane to Minnesota, and it couldn't happen a moment too soon. She just needed to grab a few essentials from the drug store before she headed out. She turned now in the direction of the street corner without looking where she was going - only to run smack into an oncoming pedestrian.

"Sorry! I'm so sorry!"

"Whoa! Look where you're going-wait a minute. Penny?"

Penny looked up in surprise. If not for the familiar voice, she might not have recognized the woman who stood before her. "Lauren? Is that you?"

In the month since Penny's ill-fated visit to her old apartment in Brooklyn, her former roommate had undergone quite a transformation. She'd chopped off most of her hair. She wore it short and boyish now, with one long angular piece that swooped across her eyebrows and skimmed the top of her cheekbone. Penny had to admit, it did nice things for Lauren's face. She looked different. Not older, exactly, but more mature. All grown up.

Of course, even a good haircut couldn't change Lauren's charming personality. "Hey," Lauren answered tersely, crossing her arms in front of her chest "Penny. Hi."

The silence lengthened as they lingered awkwardly. For a moment, Penny almost longed for the conversational stylings of Mrs. Peterson. Just this morning, the two of them had exchanged a scintillating three minutes of painful silence while waiting for the elevators.

Penny's eyes darted downward toward the sidewalk, and she cringed at the sight of her outfit. She'd only meant to run out for a quick errand, and she hadn't bothered changing out of David's baggy track pants, rolled up at the ankles. Penny prayed that Lauren wouldn't notice. To her relief, Lauren's eyes drifted up over Penny's shoulder in the direction of the building that Penny had just exited.

"That looks fancy," Lauren commented with an arched eyebrow. "You live there now?

"What? No, of course not. It's David's place-" Penny cut herself off, instantly regretting the words, but it was too late to backtrack.

"David?" Lauren's other eyebrow rose, even as her gaze traveled down over Penny's outfit. Penny could practically see the other girl's thoughts as they registered across her face. Track pants. Men's track pants. "Wow, so you're with David now. You must be psyched."

Penny cringed. "No," she said, stammering. "Not like that. I'm just crashing for a little while, until I move back to Minnesota. It's just... temporary."