Chapter 1

I sat at my desk reading a case file juggling a cup of joe in the other hand. A large manilla folder dropped on my desk in front of me with a big red stamp on it which means this prisoner was a level five meaning dangerous, I looked up to see my boss standing there eyeing me over his spectacles.

"What's this?". My eyes darted to the time. 8:28 pm he can't be serious especially when I haven't finished my cup of coffee yet.

" A new case file I need you to get right on it, the judge gave the prisoner three months so you gotta pull this through tonight."

My eyes went wide, I worked as anger manager counsellor for inmates, usually I get the ones that trashed some store or assaulted someone not the ones that kill.

I put my coffee down and stood.

"Mr.Davis with all due respect I'm packed as it is and I don't do level fives that's Patricia's job-".

"She's on leave and you're the only one I have -."

" Eric's right over there -." I pointed in the direction where Eric was sitting currently playing piano tiles on his phone.

"He's already dealing with a level five". I was about to speak but he stopped me.

"Level five cases requires a raise which I will give you if you do this for me."He said putting his hand up defensively.

Now you're talking.

"Fine, but they better have twenty guards in that room with me and I need a taser just in case and I expect my raise when pay is due."

He laughed or more like coughed he smoked too many dang cigarettes, he was a short stubby man with thinning black hair and dark blue eyes, he's nice when you catch him in that mood that's why I loved my job here but some part of me wanted to be a lawyer, it's been a silent dream for some time now. I know leaving this job would break his heart but I've been putting my career on hold for far too long and with a raise I'll finally have enough to start it.

The work day passed by in a flash, my coworkers looked like zombies by the time 4 rolled around.

I picked up the folder and my bag. "I'm clocking out!". I yelled as I walked through the cubicles then out to the marbled floor foyer. The security tipped his hat at me as I made my way through the double doors, I spun my keys around my finger as I made my way down to the underground parking.

Most of the cars left leaving the place feeling empty.

I found my car in it usual parking space but I looked over my shoulder feeling like someone was watching me,my eyes fell on a lone car parked in a reserved section. Funny I didn't notice any executives come in to the office but you know what I pretty much love minding my business, I got in the car quickly and pulled onto the streets of New York city, as expected the city never fails to deliver a beautiful night light and glamorous atmosphere for those partying late tonight and every other night. Yellow cabbies flew by me and I tapped my finger on the steering wheel.

When I pulled into my street I parked the car in front of my apartment complex, it was a three story building with a lift. I got in and headed towards my bachelorette pad as I call it, the thick folder in my hand reminded that I couldn't relax and kick back tonight. I started the coffee machine since I'll be needing a lot of it tonight. I sighed, I can do this.

I flipped it open and saw the small picture to the corner, Christ!, even from the picture I can see this guy's freaking dangerous, his eyes were dark and intense with hair cropped low to the back of his head but messy to the top and a bit longer a rough stubble lined his hard jaw, he looked tough, threateningly tough.