Mystery Man

The Hunt

Chapter 15

Mystery Man

I woke up as the phone beside the bed rang. "Hello?" I asked groggily. " Wake up call." The woman said. " M’okay. Thanks." I mumbled and threw the covers off. Michael was still fast asleep and John was laying still with his eyes closed, but I knew he was awake by the way his eyebrows moved occasionally. " Michael wake up!" I yelled and when he ignored me I shook him a few times. " Go away!" he yelled. I walked in to the bathroom and got a towel. I ran it under the cold water and brought it back it, "One last chance Michael." He gave me the finger and I tossed the soaked towel at Michael. He Jumped up and gasped, " What the Hell, Joey!" I dodged Michael as he walked toward the bathroom trying to shove me as he walked by. " Do you two have to start so early in the morning," John complained as he rolled of the bed. As he stood up he stretched and then grabbed his jacket and said, "I’ll be back." While Michael was in the shower and John was gone I quickly changed in to a navy t-shirt and black jeans. I combed my messy hair with my fingers and looked in the mirror. Over-all I was satisfied with what I saw, however I could see the faint outline of the bandages John had forced me to put on last night after the fight with Michael had reopened old wounds. Finally Michael came out dressed in blue jeans and a red long sleeve shirt. We grabbed our bags and walked outside to find John. He was leaning against the car and when he seen us coming he straightened up and got in the car.

Once we were in the car John started talking, " Okay, so most likely you’re going to get suspended for that fight. If you get lucky and they don’t then DON’T. I repeat DO NOT. GET INTO ANOTHER FIGHT. Got it?" " Got it." Michael and I said in unison. I wasn’t to happy too be going back to school after yesterday but ii knew I couldn’t avoid it. As we got to the school Michael and I got out and walked in. I walked in to the cafeteria and found Natalie, Nichole, and Cierra. " Hey," I greeted them. Nichole looked up at me and said, " Hey your alive!" " Ya. Why wouldn’t I be?" I asked puzzled. "Well," She explained, " rumor has it you got the shit beat out of you yesterday by your brother and he nearly killed you." I sighed, rumors spread fast around her, I thought. I was about to respond when I heard the principal on the intercom say, " would Nick and Sam Dawson please report to my office immediately!" I picked up my book bag and cast a sorrowful glance at my friends before walking to catch up with Michael.

When we walked in to the office the principal, Mr. Perry, was standing there waiting for us. As we walked into his office and sat down. " Boys this fight went way to far. So you wanna tell me what this is all about?" Michael looked down and said, " I’m sorry sir I just kinda lost my head. To much… recent stress." The principal folded his hands on the desk and said, " I’m sorry about your parents but Nick that’s no reason I try to kill your brother." Michael nodded and I sat there quietly. The principal sat there for a moment and then said, " Well I’m going to go easy on you guys, two weeks after school detention. I’ve already contacted your brother so he know you’ll be getting out later than usual." After that he dismissed us and we went to class. By the time I finally got to gym I had explained what had happened a dozen or so times. I stood in line for roll and seen a crowd had formed around an unusually quiet Michael. " Come on Nick! Tell us!" I heard people begging him. I found Nichole and Natalie had already started walking. I hurried over to them and they both looked at me. " You didn’t get suspended?" Natalie asked me shocked. " Um, no just detention for two weeks," I explained. " Well then. I guess that’s lucky, huh?" I shrugged and said, " I guess." The rest of the class, who had participated in gym, finished their warm ups and the gym teachers said we were going outside to walk the track and play soccer. We walked out of the side door and traveled over to the track behind the school. We walked around the big red oval track for the rest of the period. We mostly talked about random things like school, favorite music, and television. I was listening to Nichole talk when I asked, " you’re a fan of supernatural, right?" She looked at me, " Ya, why?" " How do you kill a Shtriga?" " According to supernatural you’d have to shot it with an iron buck shot while it’s feeding on a person." She looked at me through narrow suspicious eyes, " Why? You know they are not real right?" I waved it off and said, " I know just curious." She looked at me, but didn’t respond. The air around us became awkward and tense. Suddenly I noticed that the rest of the class had left and it was just the three of us and the two people behind us… wait those two aren’t in our gym class! I whipped around and smelt the strong smell of sulfur. They were a about fifteen feet away and looking at me. " Guys," I whispered to Nichole and Natalie," When I say so run to the school find Nick." " Why Sam wha- whats wrong with their eyes?!" Natalie exclaimed. " Demons. They’re real?" Nichole whispered. I glanced at her through the corner of my eye. " Ya they’re real." The demons advanced quicker to catch up since we were still walking, well rather backing, away from them. " Okay," I said, " Now!" To my surprise Natalie ran but Nichole stayed put. " What are you doing!" I yelled. " You’re gonna need help." She stated. " how are you going to help me, your just gonna get in my way," I snapped. " Try me." She retorted. I shook my head and stopped walking as did Nichole. The demons were right infront of us now, barley five feet away. " Well? What can you do?" Nichole stiffened and said, "Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus, omnis satanica potestas, omnis incursio infernalis adversarii, omnis legio, et secta diabolica." I was shocked but I remembered to continue, "Ergo draco maledicte et section. Ergo draco maledicte et legio secta diabolica" I heard a male voice behind me say, "Ut Ecclésiam tuam secúra tibi fácias servire libertáte, te rogámus, audi nos!" The demons’ eye’s got wide and they all opened their mouths but to our surprised no black smoke came out. That’s also when I realized they weren’t attacking us. " Why are you here?" Nichole asked. " What do you think we are a ghost?" the blonde demon sneered, but continued, " think about it what better place to make deals than a high school full of young, impulsive, naïve, and hormonal teenagers?" "So that’s it?" Michael asked, " Deals?" " Yes," she said very slowly as if teaching him a new word. " Why?" " Because dear boy, not as many people are making deals anymore sadly. But then the master had the idea of targeting a, uh, younger audience." Nichole spoke up now, " What do you tell them? Surely people here don’t wanna make a deal with a demon this young. If what I know is true then they get what ten years? That mean at maximum they get around thirty years." " Twenty nine actually." The other demon said with a British accent, " if you were right about the ten year part. However it actually twenty five." Michael gave Nichole a look that said be quiet, then turned to the demon, " Don’t you think people would notice a string of deaths like that. People from the same school all dying around the same age."