Chapter 18

~ Ziah ~

I'm wondering as I watch Dylan drive away how pathetic I am for wishing he'd have given me a hug. I want to scream, it's so infuriating, but at the same time, I get it. He's such a bad idea for me that I should be glad, but I also feel enough around him to know that it still sucks.

***

"So." Lora bursts into my room. "The girls are coming in this weekend for some girl time and final dress fittings."

"Okay. When does this start?"

"Now!" Karissa and Mardie burst in behind her.

"And," Mardie jumps onto my bed, sending her short, black hair flying. It's a little crazy since I've only met her once, but she's like a ball of Asian crazy-fury. "I got you a fake ID so you can come out with us tonight."

I stare at Lora with wide eyes.

Lora shrugs. "It's Saturday afternoon. I want NO talking about homework or anything but fun."

"Come on, Ziah." Karissa gives me a big smile. Her hair's red now, and I actually can't remember what color it was last time I saw her.

I stand up off my bed, and set my American government text down.

"Now we need to dress you." Karissa stands in front of my closet frowning.

"Um... If we're just going to try on dresses, how does it matter what I wear?" I ask.

The two friends both freeze and stare at me. Lora laughs.

"Don't worry, Ziah. You'll get used to them. Best to just nod and smile." Lora's grinning and relaxed. Probably just glad not to be the only object of their attention.

Mardie turns to Karissa. "I think Ziah needs that blue halter top of yours."

"Oh!" Karissa's eyes widen. "Yes, and find some skinny jeans."

I stand in my room in a daze, and by the time they're all done primping, there's no spot of carpet visible on my floor, and I don't feel like myself. But I do think I might pass for twenty-one. I'm under this makeup somewhere, I'm just not sure where.

***

All of us are in our dresses, and standing together, I finally get it. Lora's dress is that slim sheath of antiqued lace that drifts out around her—gorgeous doesn't even begin to describe it. Me, Mardie, and Karissa are all in the same simple black heels, and our dresses are all very different but go together. Mine's totally the best, and Lora even had them add some sheer lace to the top so I don't feel too naked.

All the sewing is done, and they just marked Karissa's for her lack of chest.

"So not fair." Mardie shakes her head at me. "You and your sister have the same tall, lithe body. I'm stuck forever as 'cute.'"

Karissa laughs. She's not quite as tall as Lora and I, but she's thin, almost too thin. Almost no boobs, and her red hair isn't as shockingly red now that it's pulled up. But it's still shockingly red.

"Wow," Mom says as she sits watching. "You girls all look so beautiful."

Lora's beaming. "I'm getting married. Like really, seriously, getting married."

We stand in this awkward group hug of girlie elbows and perfumes and overdone hair.

"Let's go get wasted." Karissa laughs as she jogs in the shoes back to her dressing room.

"Ziah." Mom gives me her stern look, and instead of being embarrassed, I walk carefully toward her in my stilt shoes while the girls head the other way.