[Chapter 16: I'll Be There]

"Laila! Someone's waiting for you outside," Mom cried from the kitchen.

"Coming," I cried back, while shuffling down the flight of stairs and swinging my bag around my shoulders.

"You didn't tell me you were going on a date today," Mom said, smirking mischievously.

I rolled my eyes, "It's not a date!"

My mom simply chuckled,"Be back by seven."

I nodded and walked out to see Axel leaning against his black bike, his arms folded across his chest. I could not help but gape at the sight. The sight of Axel casually standing by his sleek bike was enough to set my heart racing.

But then I remembered why he was here. My fiasco the night before creeped into my thoughts, causing me to not only feel embarrassed but guilty.

I walked to Axel and immediately started," Axel, I'm s-," but he cut me off.

"Not a word till we get to where we're going," he said, then smiled charmingly, making my stomach lurch.

He swung a helmet over my head and clipped it on. I got on the back of the bike, then he revved up the engine.

"Hold on tight," he warned.

However, I just sat there awkwardly, wondering where I was supposed to get support. At the back I suppose?

Suddenly, Axel gripped my wrists lightly and swung my arms around his waist. I felt my cheeks redden as I hugged him gently. The engine roared, and we sped off to our destination.

I felt a sense of relief and relaxation, as the wind whipped across my face, breathing in the fresh scented air. I wondered where we were going as it seemed to be around the outskirts.
The road was empty. Only a few shops were seen here and there. Mostly empty plains, stretched out on either side of us.

For a moment I just shut my eyes, and contemplated.

I was one of the Saviors of Mankind... Who would have thought? Axel was right.

It did make me feel special in a way, but at the same time, I was shouldering a burden that might be way too heavy to hold. I was just a sixteen year old girl! I did not ask to be the one to stop an alien world domination scheme! Life was unfair.

I sighed in frustration.

I soon felt the bike slow down and we came to a stop. We got down and I removed my helmet. I noticed that we stopped at a lake. A short memory replayed in my head, when I realised this was one of the places dad and Uncle Elias had brought me to, for some stargazing, when I was little. It brought a great sense of tranquility to me.

I gazed at the crystal lake surrounded by a thin line of trees. The humid smell of the air filled my nostrils. For a moment, I simply gazed at the reflection of the trees that rippled on the surface of the lake. I turned to Axel, and eyed him nervously.

"Axel...I'm sorry for complaining to you last night. Its just...I think this is way too much for me to take in. I-I never asked to be the saviour of mankind!" I said to him.

He stared at me with a serious expression that was laced with concern. I nervously bit my lip and took a deep shaky breath.

"Laila, first things first I'm glad you talked to me when you were frustrated yesterday. Its good to know that you rely on me at least... Remember I'll always be there to hear you out," he said softly while placing a hand on my shoulder.

My heart skipped a beat when he said those words. I looked down, not wanting him to see my blushing cheeks.

"T-thanks...," I said in a tiny voice.