Chapter One

Welcome new readers! In the future I'd love to enter this story in the Wattys so as you read, please don't forget to vote and comment if you like it! :)  

________________________________________________________________________________

This story is dedicated to a beautiful angel named Nancy.

Chapter 1 - Home Sweet Home

"I'm Mrs. Peterson and I see we have a new student. Annalise Jacobs? Which one of you is that?" The teacher called over the other students. Her eyes searched the room eagerly.

The second any new teacher got wind of my 4.0 gpa and clear record, they naturally became extremely excited to meet me. Most kids around this town don't try too hard in school and get into trouble, so someone like me coming back here was a godsend for them.

I hold the perfect image of what parents and teachers around here think a good pupil looks like. Khakis and a polo everyday. Hair slick and straight, held back by a thick head band. But when you add my light caramel hair, pale freckles, plump pink lips, pale blue eyes, and a perfect medium complexion to it.... well let's just say that to them that is the good girl look that they like to see roaming these halls.

I stir from my seat, sitting up straight all while just wanting to hide my face. "That's me." I say quietly and raise my hand.

She settles on the sight of me and her face upturns into a large grin. Her hands clasp together and they rest lightly on her pink sweater. Her eyes are a warm and welcoming shade of green. She's exactly what comes to mind when I imagine an English teacher.

"I'm shocked I couldn't weed out your pretty face. I remember you Annalise." Her compliment and words don't go unnoticed like I was wishing for and students turn to me. Thanks to her, they now know I must have been to this school at some point or another.

My face was just a lot less memorable when I was younger.

I gave her a slight smile back. Some kids in the class continued staring at me. Clearly none of them recognized me. I admit I have changed quite a bit. I'd like to go unnoticed for at least a little while.

"Annalise here has quite the good record class. If she keeps going this route, you can say hi to your new valedictorian. Some of you could even take some pointers from her." No thanks.

Nothing screams 'nerd' like valedictorian, and it was a title that I really didn't care to claim.

I hear someone loudly exhale from behind me. They sound amused over my situation, and as tempted as I am to look back, I will not. I will keep my eyes on the board. I don't have time for people who only want to judge me, but I do have time to throw a quick middle finger over my shoulder

Confidence is something I've learned throughout the years of being gone from this hell hole.

-

I wandered the halls aimlessly after class. The bell had rang long ago but I'm still in search of my locker. I had no time to find it before my first class, but with gaining two English books, I need to drop some of this weight off. My bag has been cutting into my shoulder for a while now and it's driving me nuts. The red indent near the collar of my polo is starting to grow painful and it needs relief.

I stopped in the middle of a strange hall and let out a loud groan. How could I forget so much after only three years? I heard they remodeled but I didn't think it'd be this drastic, and so I didn't think twice when I turned down a building tour this morning.