Chapter Twenty Three

Dan lets me off at my house and I drag myself inside. My ankle is killing me and I have a headache. Dr. Olivet gave me a ton of things to think about and to scare me more than I already am. Like I need that?

It was an extremely uncomfortable ride home to say the least. The silence bothered me. Usually I can count on Dan to be chatty, but I guess he got a few facts shoved in his face he couldn't ignore. He'll either accept them and me or not. I shouldn't care. I should call him and break things off with him right now. Break things off? I laugh out loud. It sounds like we're dating, but we are not. I'm not sure what we are doing honestly. Another reason to push him away. He's dangerous to my heart.

No one is home. There is a note from Mrs. O on the fridge. She's out with the little kids and to find myself something to eat. She's probably pissed. I was supposed to be home hours ago to watch the little kids so she could go shopping today. It's Friday so she probably took them with her. I know she promised to let them see that new 3D cartoon in the theaters so they probably ended up there. I'm gonna get yelled at when she gets home, though.

I grab a cold Coke from the fridge and confiscate last night's left over baked chicken and rice before heading upstairs to my room. Setting the plate on my bed, I grab my laptop off the desk and then settle back against my pillows. My foot is throbbing, but I forgot to get the Motrin downstairs. I don't feel like walking all the way back down there and making my ankle hurt worse. I'll just wait and see if it gets better.

My phone buzzes and I look to see a text from Mason telling me to call him or he's gonna keep text stalking me till I do. I shake my head. That boy. I've only just met him, but I really, really like him. I feel guilty for it too. Technically, Jake and I haven't broken up, but it feels like we broke up. The urge to cry is gone at least, which bothers me too. I thought Jake might be the perfect guy for me. He saw me and didn't judge, or didn't until he saw my classic Mattie moves. Hit first and ask questions later. I don't think I'll ever be able to break that habit. You learn it early enough and it stays with you. I learned it at the age of five, so... that's just a part of me. Period.

One thing's certain: I'm completely screwed up emotionally and mentally. Maybe Dan's right and I only convinced myself I can see ghosts. I've had a pretty messed-up life. The shrinks all agreed that it wouldn't be unusual for me to make up scenarios that are beyond belief to help my mind make sense of what's happened to me growing up. Not that I ever told them I could see ghosts, mind you, but it was something they always talked to me about. I drew some pretty creepy stuff as a kid. They told me it was my way of manifesting my fears. Maybe my seeing dead people is just an outlet for me. Maybe they aren't real. Maybe it's just me being crazy.

My hand comes up to my throat. The bruises are real, though. Even Dan admitted that, but he also said he had a hard time getting my hands away from my throat. Could I have done that to myself? Maybe I'd shifted my hands around enough to make the impressions bigger or something?

I can't do this to myself. I know that ghosts are real and I'm letting Dan make me rethink everything. No. I refuse to change who I am just for him. I don't think he'll ever accept that I do see ghosts, and that means he'll never be able to accept me. Okay, fine. I'll figure out what happened to Sally and I'll help Mary, I'll just do it my way. I've never needed anyone before and I don't need anyone now. I don't.

I call Dan's number and it goes straight to voice mail. Figures. "Hey, it's me. I've been thinking.  I don't think we should hang out anymore, Dan. You can't believe in me and I know it's not your fault, but I need someone who does. I trusted you enough to tell you my secret, and I don't trust anyone. That's why I need you to believe me. If you can't, I understand, but I just wanted to call and say thanks and to tell you good-bye."