BONUS CHAPTER: I'm in Love

This has been playing in my head for a long time, so I thought I'd give all of you wonderful readers a bonus chapter.

This takes place a few months before the very first chapter.

BONUS CHAPTER: I'm in Love

Laughlin

       "Don't you dare touch the radio," Mary said as my finger was inches away from changing the song. "The driver chooses."

       "The driver needs new taste in music," I shot back. "Come on, Mary. Road trips are boring as hell without decent music."

       Mary scoffed. "So my music isn't decent?"

       "I'm sorry that I'm not a Swiffer or whatever you call it," I said with an eye roll as I leaned back against the seat.

       "Swifty," Mary corrected. "Did you seriously call me a freaking cleaner product?"

       "Can you two shut up?" Elliot asked from the backseat. "I want a road trip without arguing from the two of you."

       "Tell her that her music sucks," I said.

       "No, tell him to stop being such a jerk," Mary shot back.

       "I'm not a couple's councillor," Elliot said with a sigh. "Laughlin, just suffer through the music and Mary, stop calling Laughlin a jerk. The two of you are getting on my nerves and I am so close to jumping out of the car while it's moving."

       Mary sighed. "I'm sorry for calling you a jerk, Laughlin. Again."

       "And I'm sorry I said your music sucks," I said.

       Mary smiled, leaning over and quickly pecking my cheek before turning her eyes back to the road. Mary and I argue all the time and honestly, it was getting annoying. Things weren't feeling the same from when we first started dating. Now, it was constant arguing.

      Mary pulled into the parking lot of Starbucks and parked the car. "I'll quickly head inside and grab some coffee for us. It's starting to get cold in the car."

       "Yeah, that's what the heat is for," I told her as she walked out of the car.

       "I need some fresh air," Elliot announced, getting out of the car. I followed her since I also needed the fresh air. Being in a car for over five hours was getting to me.

       With both sat on the hood of Mary's car. "Having fun so far?" I asked.

       Elliot scoffed. "Honestly, no. You two are giving me a headache."

       "Sorry," I said. "You must hate third-wheeling."

       Elliot shook her head. "Nah. You two aren't one of those couples that are all lovey-dovey and constantly showing PDA, thank goodness. It always feels like it's just three friends."

       "Good," I said. "I wouldn't want you being bored out of your mind. I'm happy you came."

       "Me too," Elliot said with a small smile as she began rubbing her arms. "Hopefully she hurries up with the coffee. It's getting cold."

       Immediately, I unzipped my sweater and handed it to her. "Here. I don't mind, I won't get cold."

       Elliot gave me another smile, one that was really beautiful. "Thanks." As she took the sweater from me, her hand brushed against mine, sending sparks throughout my body. I ignored the feeling as I leaned back and propped myself on my elbows. "I have a question," Elliot said. "Why do you and Mary argue all the time?"

       I shrugged. "I don't know. I still like her. Maybe we've been spending too much time together. Or maybe her taste in music sucks."

       Elliot chuckled. "It really does."

       "Thank you!" I said, happy that she agreed with me. "Do me a favor and tell her that so we don't have to listen to another Taylor Swift song?"

       Elliot shook her head. "No way. Never try to get between her and her music. You either suffer or be like me and...." She pushed her hair to the other side of her shoulder, revealing an earphone sitting in her ear.

       "Smart," I said. "I'm probably going to do that from now on."

       Elliot fake-gasped. "Then you'll stop complaining. It's a win-win-win!"

       "Don't you mean a win-win?" I asked.

       "Nope," Elliot said. "Win-win-win. You get to listen to your music, Mary won't have to listen to you complain, and I won't hear the two of you argue about it anymore."

       I chuckled, shaking my head. "Or you can suffer with me?"

       "No way," Elliot said. "I've been friends with her for years. I know every trick to avoid her getting mad and to get my way."

      "Oh, you need to teach me everything," I said.

       Another smile from Elliot gave me such warmth, which caused me to smile as well. Under the moonlight, she looked so beautiful. My heart was beating faster at the sight.

      Oh....

      Crap.

       I'm in love with the wrong girl.

___________

So this is the moment Laughlin realized he's in love with Elliot, not Mary. I'm probably going to write more bonus chapters, like when Mary realized her boyfriend is in love with her best friend or when Laughlin caught Mary cheating on him. I don't know, I just want to write the stuff that was in my head, but never appeared in the book because it was before the first chapter or it never made the cut. (: