Chapter 24~

A/N: this is like the second to last chapter

Chapter 24:

I greeted a few of my team mates before skating on to the ring.

I've been at university for a few months and in that time my roommate convinced me to try out for the hockey team.

Apparently playing a year of hockey when you were five makes you good enough to get on to a team.

University so far has been good, my roommate is great, and my classes are actually enjoyable.

Me and Luke haven't seen each other at all in the five months we've been apart. We never really broke up but I'm not sure if we are still together.

We texted and called a lot the first month, and then we both slowly started getting busier and eventually realized just how hard long distance is.

I know Luke has been practicing like crazy the last few months for a performance he has to take part in. And I've been traveling all around Australia with the school to study crime scenes and visit police headquarters. Consequently we haven't even texted for like 3 or 4 months now.

If I'm being honest, I rarely think about him anymore. And I'm pretty sure my cute roommate may be in to me so I don't have to worry about being lonely or anything.

Our coach calls the whole team over and talks to us a little before sending us off to train.

I skate across the rink to join with the midfielders and strikers on the team. We practice shooting goals, while the goalies and defense try to prevent us from that.

After about an hour of training we are allowed to go, our coach telling us to get an early night as we have a game tomorrow.

As I go back to my dorm room my roommate zach greets me and then says "there's a party tonight wanna come?"

"I have a game tomorrow..." I say, trailing off.

"Come on, there'll be free alcohol."

"Well in that case," I say with a grin.

"It's at 9pm so we can go together, yeah?"

"Sure," I say with a smile. Getting changed out of my hokey clothes and into more appropriate clothing for a party.

A few hours later and me and Zach are going to the party.

We walk into the large frat house the parties in and grab some beer together.

The party quickly becomes more and more crowded and soon I can't help but join zach with the rest of the dancing teenagers.

Zach keeps on brushing his fingers against my arm and he gets closer and closer to me.

He leans in and kisses me.

I don't kiss back but I don't exactly push him back either.

"Sorry," I say pulling away rom the kiss, shaking my head.

Zach doesn't even notice my rejection because he just starts giggling. I know realize he is completely wasted.

As I pull him out of the party and help him walk back to our dorm room I can't help thinking about the kiss, and about Luke.

*****

"So today we're playing against a team from Manhattan, we needn't be worried, but they are definitely gonna be the hardest competition we'll have this season," our coach explains.

Coach pats us on the back encouragingly before sending us on to the rink to warm up.

Despite there still being a little while till the game starts we get a few cheers from the audience.

We warm up, practicing our shooting and attacking for the game.

I'm a little worried, not because I think that we'll loose, but because we probably won't have double the points like we normally do playing against a team.

We may be one of the best college hockey teams in the country, but so are the other team.

I see the other team come on to the rink, and I know the game will be starting soon.

I skate towards the middle of the rink and wait for one of the opposing team mates to come opposite me for the face off that starts the game.

He skates up to me and I focus on the puck, waiting for the referee to blow his whistle indicating the start of the game.

I wait nervously when suddenly the person across me says, "Ashton?"

I look up, and really look at the boy in front of me through his helmet. I see his blue eyes and strands of blond hair across his forehead.

"Luke?"

Then the referee blows the whistle, and the game starts.