two // the spell

"This is the only grimore you kept?" Bonnie asked, turning yet another page of the book.

"It's the only one I needed" Abbey answered, continuing to look around at all the walls of the cave. "So, what is all of this?" She asked, referring to the makings across the rocks.

"Family history. About a mother who loved her children so much, she couldn't bare the thought she might lose them. So she turned them into vampires" Bonnie explained. "One of them being Klaus."

Bonnie doesn't know who Klaus refused to put on the walls. In order to keep her safe, people couldn't know about her. Yet, he did in fact put up a sign of love, but Alaric had missed that in his pictures.

"The one you're trying to kill with whatever is in that coffin?"

Bonnie simply nodded.

"There is nothing in here that is going to help us. I've seen most of these spells." She went on. "What was this?" Bonnie played with the end of a missing page from the grimore.

"The spell I used to trap Michael in the tomb. I burned it, tried to get it out of my head. It didn't work though" Abbey came closer, looking deeply at the book. "Wait. Do you see this?"

"It's a sealing spell. We're trying to open something, not seal it shut" Bonnie protested.

"No. Right here, on the side. A blood knot. It means to bind it you need two generations. A bloodline. Like two keys to a safety deposit box."

"So... Unbinding it would reverse the spell, unseal it? If we did it together?" Abbey nodded.

-

"You're not trying! We've been at this for over an hour" Bonnie groaned, slamming her palms onto the coffin to which the spell book was placed.

"The spirits are angry with me, for leaving you" tears started to form in Abbey's eyes as Bonnie's face fell. "Maybe they don't want me to have my powers again."

"I had all of those dreams for a reason. The spirits wanted me to find you because you're my mom. It's not them, it's you. You won't open yourself up to it."

Abbey stood silent. Tears falling down her cheeks.

"You know dad never talked about you, neither did grams. I had no memories of you, so you know what I used to pretend? That you were dead. It was easier to do that then to wonder why you never came back for me."

"There is no way to tell you how sorry I am for what I did" Abbey looked down to her feet with shame.

"Yes there is" Bonnie said. "You can help me." She reached her hands out over the coffin, to which Abbey cautiously took.

Then they began to chant once more.

The flames of the candles around them grew to an extent until suddenly the candles just fell.

Bonnie looked down at the coffin with confusion, until she tried to open it. She could lift the top up, but not so much for it to open.

"It almost worked. I have to text Damon, tell him we're getting closer. I'll be right back."

"Okay." Abbey watched as her daughter ran off into the tunnels, leaving her alone with the coffin.

A few seconds after Bonnie left, a loud thump caused Abbey to jump in fright. She looked behind her with caution, only for the coffin to spring open.