Wheat(2)

Wheat.

Percy knew he shouldn't have trusted it. After all, wheat nearly took Hazel. And now, it was taking over his camp.

He hated wheat.

He was wary when the tree nymphs were cooing over the tiny wheat seedling. It ran around their palms and caused them to squeal with delight. Percy had told them what could happen. But the satyrs and nymphs all agreed to not let it get out of hand. And here he was, staring at the rustling field and listening to the screaming of pipes and spirits. 

And he couldn't help.

Maybe if I just drown the field? Percy thought.
No, I would just drown the others too.
Percy hated being unable to help.

Steadily a cloud of golden dust rose above the fields. The nature spirits and satyrs were trying to desperately control the grain riots, but the monsters that they had smuggled in made it difficult. Apparently, word had gotten around that some demigods had destroyed some wheat and other grains while on a quest. Percy may or may not have felt guilty at that.

It was sort of his fault, he thought.

Now a line of demigods stood in lines facing the rolling cloud. Weapons hung uselessly at their sides. What do you use to fight dust? Nobody knew if there were going to be monsters rolling with it, the sharp edges of the plants, or if they would be suffocated. They were sitting ducks.

Percy felt a gust of wind blow his hair back and he stumbled. The cloud was closer. His lungs began to burn. Ever since Tarturaus, he and Annabeths Lungs had taken a beating. Anything other than oxygen seemed to set thief insides on fire. He coughed.

"Jason, can you hold it back?" Percy called. His eyes were starting to burn from the dirt now picking up.

Jason's face was a mask of concentration. He stood with his legs apart firmly on the ground and his hands in front.
"I'm trying," he grunted.

Percy knew Jason was strong. If this cloud couldn't be held back by a son of Jupiter, well...

Percy shook his head.

"First timers! Back to your cabins! Now!" Percy yelled. Chiron nodded his head and began cantering around the younger ones, herding them away.

"Demeter cabin! Can you do anything?" Annabeth called from somewhere behind Percy.

"We'd have to get in there Annabeth. None of us can see! It's useless!" One cried out.

Wind was whipping their faces and rocks stung their legs.

"We have to go to the bunker!," a shrill voice called.

"We can't fight this!"

"We can't see!"

We have to hide!"

"Prissy! I don't know about you, but I don't want to be taken down by a giant dust bunny!" Clarisse held her bandana from flying wildly in her face. Her eyes were squinted more than usual. "I'm not one for retreats but let's go!"

Percy's throat was dry. They couldn't fight this.
Annabeth looked desperate. Her lack of grim determination in the face of a battle scared him. He had no choice and Annabeth knew it too. They had to go to the bunker.

"Everyone, bunker 9 now!" He nodded his head towards Hephaestus cabin and they turned towards the woods and waved in a "follow me" manner.

Suddenly, a shrill scream came from the cloud. Monsters. They were winning and the pipes couldn't hold them back.