✨ c h a p t e r t h i r t y ✨

Roman and I arrived at Jay's house a few hours later. Jay opened the door, holding Ella in his arms. She was wearing a baby blue princess costume with a blonde wig.

"Hi Ella-baby," I cooed, taking her. She wrapped her arms around my neck, kissing my cheek softly.

"Aunty!" she squealed, grinning.

Jay and Roman exchanged some words, none of which I caught.

"Oh!" I said, remembering that they don't know each other. "Jay this is Ro–"

"I know Abbs," Jay interrupted.

"What? How?" He chuckled as did Roman.

"How else do you think he found you?" And suddenly everything clicked into place. Jay was texting someone when Annalise and I were talking right before we left. "I may have borrowed your phone, without asking, to get his number, but I'm sure you don't mind." He grinned, inching behind Roman. I rolled my eyes. For a parent, he was quite the scaredy-cat.

"Where're your parents?" I asked, stepping inside. They followed, Jay lingering near Roman. I rolled my eyes at his childish antics.

"They're both out, there's some church function or something," Jay replied.

"And Lise?" I asked. He rubbed the back of his neck, mumbling something under his breath. "What was that?"

"Upstairs," he mumbled louder. I snickered softly.

"Aunty play!" Ella said, bouncing in my hands. I chuckled softly, putting Ella down.

Ella grabbed my hand and led me to the living room where all her toys were put out. The TV was playing Frozen, hence the outfit she was in. I sat down on the ground as Ella grabbed a few building blocks. She'd put them next to me and I'd begin to make the foundation. Once we finished the building, Jay pretended to be the big, bad wolf (or woof as Ella says) and tried to knock it down. Ella would use her "frozen powers" and stop him.

When I looked up at Roman, he was watching me with a certain glint in his eyes. When he realized I caught him staring, he gave me his beautiful smile. I motioned him forward and he sat next to me on the floor. Ella warmed up to Roman really quickly which wasn't all that surprising. Ella was a people-person; she especially loved being the center of attention.

"Abby!" Annalise exclaimed, jumping on top of me. I groaned as she nearly headbutted me.

"Nice of you to grace our presence sleeping beauty," I said as she positioned herself on my lap.

"At your service, m'lady," she said with a fake-British accent. I rolled my eyes. She turned to Roman, eyeing him down. "I approve." Roman chuckled, glancing at me.

"Roman," he said.

"Annalise, also known as the maid of honor," she replied. I held back another eye roll.

For a while, the four of us played with Ella. She was more than ecstatic to have more than one playmate. Jay's parents came home a while later with lunch ─ pizza to be exact. Once it was time for Ella's nap, Roman and I decided it was time to go home.

"When are you coming back?"Annalise asked.

"I'll be back next week. It's their anniversary on Thursday," I murmured. She nodded, hugging me tight.

"Stay strong, okay?" I nodded, a small smile on my face.

"I'll see you soon," Jay said, hugging me.

After saying my goodbyes, Roman and I began heading back home. I decided to leave my car here considering I'd be back. The ride was filled with a comfortable silence. There was nothing to say. Our hands were intertwined, resting on my thigh. Somewhere along the way, I fell asleep. When I woke up, we were stuck in the middle of traffic. I could tell by the familiar area that we were close.