CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

It was quite obvious that something had happened between Eleanor and Marnie, Fred didn't need Cedric to confirm it with the latest gossip

It was quite obvious that something had happened between Eleanor and Marnie, Fred didn't need Cedric to confirm it with the latest gossip. When he walked into Transfiguration, he found Eleanor out of her usual seat, while Marnie was still sitting at their usual table. The entire time, they avoided any and all eye contact with each other, which was easier for Eleanor as she focused on her knitting. But as Fred grew closer, he could hear Eleanor swearing to herself as she dropped a stitch.

Carefully, he approached where she was sitting and took the seat next to her. He waited to be acknowledged patiently for about a good minute or so, however, Eleanor's temper only seemed to grow as she started fighting with the yarn. And just before she looked ready to lose her mind, Fred reached out a hand and placed it over hers to get Eleanor to stop. But it didn't go exactly as planned as she jumped in her chair, dropping all of her knitting to the floor.

"What have I told you about sneaking up on me?" she asked him as she picked up her things from the floor.

Fred gave a shrug of his shoulders. "That you thoroughly enjoy it?"

"No," she said poking him on the nose. "I don't enjoy it."

"Oh well, must have slipped my mind," he answered, "but moving on to more important things. Is there a particular reason as to why you're not sitting with Marnie?"

He could see the way her jaw clenched tightly but she immediately went back to focusing on her knitting as she answered. "We're not on speaking terms right now."

"Why?"

"I really rather not discuss it right now," Eleanor said quietly. "I'll tell you about it later. But why are you here without- "

Before she could finish her question, the answer came running through the door as George burst into the classroom, appearing quite out of breath and sweaty.

"Uh, George, what have you been up to and why are you-"

It seemed Eleanor would never get the chance to ask what the hell was going on when she was interrupted again by the sound of something exploding outside of the classroom in the corridor. Just as she went to question what the noise was and turned around in her seat, Fred grabbed her by the shoulders and spun her back around.

"Don't turn around!" he instructed her. "Just focus on your knitting!"

There was little time for her to respond when Professor McGonagall came into the classroom, clearly flustered by whatever had taken place outside. While Eleanor attempted to focus on her knitting, she couldn't help but look up as McGonagall approached where they were all sitting. She didn't look at Eleanor initially, but more so focused her attention on the twins.

"Messrs Weasley," she said, "how long have you two been in here?"

"Goodness, Professor," Fred sighed, "it feels like we've been here for ages. We've been havin' a nice chat with Ellie here. Isn't that right, love?"