01

A lanky teenager with cool blue eyes and shaggy black hair sat in the back of a futuristic looking RV, his head resting against the metal walls that made up the interior. In front, his large father, clad in an orange jumpsuit, blasted folk music that tempted the teenager to bang his head against the wall. Maybe the pain that came from that action would block out the throbbing noise of Woody Guthrie's This Land is Your Land.

Sitting in the passenger seat was the boy's mother, a blue jumpsuit covering every inch of the woman's body. She hummed along to the music, swaying slightly as she watched the road with wide, curious eyes and a small smile. Sitting in back with the sixteen-year old was his older sister, Jazz, her nose pressed into a book as she continuously messed with earbuds that did little to block out her parent's antics. If anything, Danny Fenton could say that this road trip was nothing out of the ordinary.

Jazz took an earbud out and let loose an exasperated sigh. "Where exactly are we going, again?" She inquired with a certain level of boredom, her tired eyes blinking slowly.

Maddie Fenton reached over and fiddled with the volume, turning it down so her talking could be heard over the music. "Your father and I have decided that we'd like to spend a little time out of the city, sweetie. We picked a place called Gravity Falls in Oregon. It's a small town where—"

"It's a town where we can hunt ghosts," Jack Fenton finished, his confident voice echoing throughout the vehicle.

"And, of course, relax," Maddie added.

"Are we almost there?" Danny's plea was almost childlike, his head momentarily bobbing off the metal wall before falling back down with a soft thunk. Jazz threw Danny a glare before putting her earbud back in and sinking into the chair, her book incredibly close to her face.

"Just about, honey, only a few more miles to go."

The folk music was turned up once more and Danny felt his body sigh with exhaustion. The night before had been filled with ghost hunting in preparation for the vacation. He couldn't have any stray ghosts terrorizing the town while he was away, and he had tried his best to make sure every ghost was in check. If there happened to be a problem back in Amity Park, he had Sam and Tucker to count on, both of which carried a Fenton Thermos, to catch ghosts, and a pair of Fenton Phones, with which to communicate. Danny fiddled with his phone now, thinking back to when Sam had referred to them as "techno-goth earrings." A small smile played across his lips. Oh, how the times had changed.

Only a few minutes later Danny found himself peering out the window at a large, old wooden sign. Faded and peeling, it had the tips of pine trees painted on, along with a bright yellow sun and a rickety-looking water tower. In big, bold letters, the town's name was the only thing that had barely chipped away: Welcome to Gravity Falls.

Forest was everywhere. Danny could see the town ahead, looming into view, but his eyes were mostly on the dark and ominous pine trees that thickened into blackness, a shiver running down his back and a breath of cold air escaping his lips as the vehicle passed by. Jazz glanced at him with worried eyes, seeing his reaction at the forest. Danny silently reassured her.

This was going to be an interesting trip.

* * *

A short preteen boy sat on the counter of a small shack hidden deep within the woods, an odd looking journal clasped in his hands. Head bent, he went over the words once more as customers silently made their way around the shop. There was a loud crash and the boy looked up, seeing his twin sister before feeling a whoosh of air as his blue and white hat was promptly taken off his head, revealing messy brown hair. He let out a yell of surprise before realizing that it was only Mabel, her grappling hook connected to a support beam on which she swung.

Mabel giggled as Dipper Pines shook his head.

"Mabel, give me my hat back."

"Stop reading that dumb book, Dipper." Mabel dropped to the ground and lay on the floor, her chocolate hair splayed across it. "That book is so—bleh."

"This book holds all the mysteries of Gravity Falls," Dipper said, patting it's cover and dropping from the counter to retrieve his cap. "Much more important than—whatever you're doing right now."

The door was opened and the twin's great uncle, Grunkle Stan, rushed out, a vault cradled in his hands like a football. "What was that? Did the government come to arrest me again? You'll never take me alive!" With that he ran back into the other room, leaving the shop in a moment of silence.

"Yo, the kid's right," Wendy Corduroy said from her seat whilst breaking the stupor. She dropped the magazine on her legs, which were stretched out and resting on the counter-top. "There's like, a lot more to do than just reading that thing. Go outside and find mystery junk or something. I'd join you, but I kind of have to run this place."

Dipper sighed. He knew that, of course, she was right. He looked up into Wendy's brown eyes, then dropped his gaze to her flannel shirt. The preteen still had feelings for the teenager, though they had an abundance of differences. It was often difficult to decline her requests, anyhow.

"I'll meet up with you guys later," Wendy said, a smile playing across her lips. Dipper nodded and Mabel pumped her fist in the air, grabbing her brother's hand and dragging him out the door of the Mystery Shack. Wendy shook her head and brought her magazine back up to her face.

Minutes later there was the soft tinkling of the door, followed by a group of people that Wendy was too lazy to look up at.

"Maddie, I know exactly where we're going."

"I know you do, dear, I would just like to ask for some directions."

"Aren't we setting up a tent here?" This voice was obviously a teenager's, and Wendy glanced up out of curiosity. "There's forest everywhere, Mom. We can set up camp anywhere."

"I just want to make sure it's safe."

Wendy surveyed the group. Two parents, both in oddly bright jumpsuits, and two teenagers, one girl, which had been the one to speak, and one tired-looking teen leaning against the wall near the doorway, his blue eyes seeming to take in everything in the shop. It was strange, seeing a tired teen such as himself pay as much attention to detail as he did.

The boy's eyes landed on her and he grinned, taking his head off the wall. His shaggy black hair fell in front of one eye and he pushed it back with his fingers. He had caught her staring.

"Uh, hey," Wendy said, looking away quickly. "Can I help you guys with something?"

Maddie walked over to the counter. "Yes, we were wondering if we could set up camp somewhere around here?"

Wendy shrugged. "I don't care. Just watch out for gnomes."

None of them even blinked. She took a quick glance at the black-haired boy, trying to catch his reaction. He just looked exhausted, like there was enough he had to deal with without being terrorized by gnomes.

The mom smiled with an enthusiastic "Thank you!" and they all started to walk out. Wendy glanced out the window and saw a strange looking RV. She sighed. Tourists.

The black-haired boy started to leave and Wendy leaned forward in her chair. "Hey, what's your name?" She called, and his hand froze before touching the doorknob.

"Danny," he said. "Danny Fenton. And you?"

"Wendy. It's nice to meet you, City Boy."

Danny Fenton smiled and walked out the shop door.