Tick Tock Circus

TICK TOCK CIRCUS WEEKLY DYSTOPIAN FICTION: Axe 

VOLUME: 1.2 

AUTHOR: Jennifer Martinez (Author of WRITTEN IN THE STARS) 

LOCATION: Arcane Ward 

DATE: Cycle 1, Day 18,250, Year 3452

CHAPTER ONE: 

We all have our vices. We really aren’t that different from each other. Cupcake uses her silk. I use my blades. As the blood trickles down my forearm I am forced to remember once again that I am immortal. As I watch the sticky crimson liquid pool on the dirty floor, I wonder if my mother knew. If she knew I would love the feel of steel on my skin, if maybe that was why she named me Axe.

It’s been fifty years since the accident that put us here and not a day goes by when we don’t try to die. The show must go on but when it stops, reality kicks back in, and reality blows. I was ripped away from my family in one instant. I could see them spiraling away from me and no matter how loud I screamed or how hard I tried to reach out for them, they were just gone.

I awoke to the sound of the big top. At first it reminded me of the good times I used to have with my big brother. We loved the circus. It was one of the few times the whole family did something together. We would load up with cotton candy and stare in awe at the acrobats and lion tamers. I always fanaticized about joining the circus but I would never have done it.

When I looked around all I could see were other bodies littered on the ground. It seemed like all of us just fell out of the sky into this hell. Our hell. I stood up and did what I do best, poke people. Everyone else started to wake up and no one knew where we were. Life hadn’t been the same since the incident and this was just another notch in the well, we fucked that up belt all of the immortals wore. It wasn’t until Scythe walked in that it started to click. We had finally become the freak show. Bonds were forged that day that an eternity cannot break.

I hear the five minute call and snap out of my memories. The show must go on. We all have our place in this circus and it’s the only thing that has kept us going. I am feeling particularly gruff tonight and decide to use the large hunting knives for my act. I place them in my belt and grab one last glance in the mirror before heading out of my dressing room to round up the rest of the freaks. Looking at myself is still shocking. Even though I am the ripe old age of seventy-five I don’t look a day over twenty. I swing the door open and head out to rally the troops.

Cupcake is the show opener with her amazing silk routine. I’ve never seen anyone fall from three floors up and stop more gracefully. 

“Hey C. Five minutes, get out there and start this shit right.†

“Always.†

Next is Shatter. That woman is a league all her own. I still don’t know how she got that way but I’m not sure I want to know. I pound on her door and make sure I don’t leave until I see the doorknob turn. She is the kind to get lost in a thought and not come back for days.

I lean against the wall and watch from the sidelines. I can’t help but play with my knives as the girls perform. If I’m honest with myself, Shatter is my favorite. Anyone that can handle a blade gets two thumbs up in my book, but god knows if she ever knew... I am not even going there.

Scythe is back in the center ring and announcing my arrival to the big top. I stride into the middle and steal her hat. I grab an unsuspecting hume from the crowd and tie them to the wall that was wheeled out just for me. I take my time tying up this random stranger letting all the women ogle my ass in these itchy leather pants Scythe insists I wear. I give the trembling blonde a quick kiss on the nose before walking away and throwing a knife over my shoulder. I smile as she squeals and the crowd erupts in an earth shaking roar. I turn around and inspect my impeccable aim. Two inches to the left of her face, I need to tighten up. Three more knives in succession, the thud of metal into wood warming the hole where my soul should be. I can see the sweat beading up on her face as I walk up to her and remove Scythes hat from my head and place it on hers. She already has knives framing her face and hips, this one is my favorite though. I walk back to her spot in the crowd, take a seat and ask the man behind me to cover my eyes.

The silence in the audience electrifies my skin as I pull my arm back and release my final throw. The crowd is in arms and blondie is now in tears. I can’t help but laugh as I take my bows and head back to the ring. Her sweat and tears have blended together to create the intoxicating scent of fear and arousal. They never admit it, but it's why the humes come to see us. They still aren’t happy. If they only knew just what it was like to live forever they wouldn’t stare at us like we were sharks at an aquarium. They would feel bad knowing what its like to have no end in sight. But until they realize how lucky they are, I will continue in my purpose, to scare the life out of them so they can truly know what it's like to feel alive.

I untie the blond and she steps out from under the pinned hat. She runs back to her seat as I take my final bow and pull the last knife from the wall, handing Scythe back her hat as I go. Time to head back to the green room and try not survive the night.

COME BACK NEXT WEEK FOR ANOTHER INSTALLMENT IN AXE'S STORY...

Did you like Jennifer's writing? Check out her other work by clicking the links below.

WEBSITE: 

http://jmartinezauthor.com

FACEBOOK: 

http://www.facebook.com/jennifermartinezauthor

TWITTER: 

http://www.twitter.com/JennMAuthor

GOODREADS: 

http://www.amazon.com/Jennifer-Martinez/e/B00B7ONSN4/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1369353139&sr=8-1 

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6898157.Jennifer_Martinez

LIBBOO: 

https://www.libboo.com/network/booksnbrownies