Chapter 19: Heartless

[Nisa's P.O.V.]

It was 3:00. That's when school gets out, and when Andy was supposed to be here. Walking out of the buildin, I didn't see his black Cadillac. Dammit, Andy! I waiting until the parking lot emptied before I fished my phone out of my bag and called him. Straight to voicemail. I listened to his voice on the recording for a second before it beeped, "I don't know where you are, but I'm going to kick your ass when I get home!" Sighing, I hefted my bag onto my shoulder again and started walking. I silently thanked myself for not bringing my sax home. The smart thing to do would have been to call Alexa, but I didn't want to bother her, so I could walk. Or so I thought...

I hadn't gone very far when I heard a car horn beep. I turned, thinking – hoping – it was Andy. But it wasn't. Of course it wasn't. It was a few jocks from my school. Great. They were all pricks. "Hey!" One of them screamed at me as I continued on my way. I gave them the finer and kept walking. Better to ignore them as best as I can. "Don't ignore me, bitch!" The same one from before continued to shout at me. THat's when I heard the brakes squeal and all the doors opened. I sighed and turned to face them, setting my back on the ground. "What?" I snarled, glaring intensely at them. There were 5 of them, all about the same height, with crew cuts and football letterman jackets. The one who'd shouted at me came to stand in my personal space. The rest of his asshole buddies followed right behind him. "Aw, babe, don't be like that," he sneered, lifting a hand to brush the hair from my face.

I slapped at him as he tilted his head toward his friends. One of the guys stepped forward, his expression apologetic, but he still did what he was silently asked. He grabbed my arms, pinning them behind me. His grip was like steel. FUCK.

"Who knew that emo bitch could hit. That stung a bit, babe," the firts guy chuckled, waving his hand in front of my face. "Where's your faggot boytoy? Did he forget about his bitch?" My leg shot out and crashed into his groin, causing him to yelp and fall to the ground. His friend directly behind him went to help, but was waved away. The main jock stood awkwardly, smirking, and his fist met my face so fast that I didn't have time to react. The apologetic one released me, letting me fall to the ground as I clutched my bleeding nose. The first guy bent down and whispered in my ear, "Bitches don't get off easy. You're in for a treat."

I don't know how long they were there, but I was glad when I finally slipped into unconsciousness.

[Andy's P.O.V.]

Matt and I had stopped at a cart to grab some food – we'd been having a blast! Who knew this kiddy place would actually be fun! In some down time, I took a glance at my watch and almost spit my burger out – 3:45! I stood quickly, pulling Matt with me, "Dude, we've got to go!" We left our lunches on the table, and he tried to jerk away. "What is it?!?"

"I forgot about Nisa!" I started running to the front entrance, speeding up in the parking lot, weaving in and out of cars. I waited just long enough for Matt to get into the car before I hit the gas and peeled out of there.Once we were on the highway, I turned on my phone.

One missed call.

One voice message.

"Fuck," I whispered, listening to the voicemail. Nisa's voice rang through the speaker, "I don't know WHERE you are, but I'm going to kick your ass when I get home!" Shit.

It took about half an hour to get to the school – I was lucky I wasn't pulled over. I drove along the front of the school and didn't see her. Of course. She probably decided to walk. I pulled out of the parking lot and started down the road. I turned onto a pretty deserted street that was a shortcut to our apartment. "Dude, what's that?" Matt pointed out the window, making me slam on the brakes. It was Nisa. I pulled over and jumped out of the car. Matt was confused but followed me anyway. I almost broke down entirely when I saw her. Her face and arms were streaked with blood and bruises. Her ankle hung at an awkward angle, as did her wrist and nose. Her breathing was composed of shallow, awkward gasps, and her hair was matted with blood, sweat, and tears.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!!" I whispered, bending down to sweep her dark hair from her face. Her eyes fluttered open, then closed again. "Nisa?" I whispered again. This time, her eyes flew open and her hoarse voice rang loudly, "Please! Please don't! I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" Her voice quickly died to a whisper, only for her to start mumbling "please" over and over. Tears clouded her eyes and they streaked down her stained cheeks.

"Nisa, baby, it's me. I'm not going to hurt you..." I whispered, my voice cracking. Her eyes focused on me, tears flowing faster. "Andy!" She wailed, throwing her good arm around my neck, and I pulled her into my lap gently ricking her. "What happened, love?" She shook her head. Grinding my teeth, I stood, holding her close. I nodded at Matt to open the car door. His face was somber as he did so, and I gave him the keys so I could sit in the back, holding Nisa. "Drive, Matt," I hissed between clenched teeth. I was so angry that it took everything in me not to punch something.

He mumbled something, got in the car, and sped off. I looked down sadly at Nisa, and her eyes met mine. "I'm sorry, Andy... I'm so sorry..." She mumbled against my chest. Tears filled my eyes and I placed my forehead to hers, looking into her sorrowful, terrified eyes, "Listen, Nisa. Whatever happened..." I paused to take a deep breath as to not growl at her, "Whatever they did to you... It wasn't your fault," I said as calmly as I could. Her head fell back and her eyes closed. She passed out again. Matt had to step on it.

We pulled up to the ER entrance and I quickly got out of the car, clutching Nisa to my chest. The receptionist saw us, her eyes wide, and she pressed a button to cause a couple paramedics to come from the double doors. They took Nisa from me as I was told to fill out paperwork. Fucking paperwork. I couldn't go into the exam room with her, I was told. So I reluctantly sat on one of the uncomfortable waiting room chairs, filling out the damned forms.

Forty-five minutes later, a woman stood in front of me, "Are you Andy Biersack?"

I stood and ignored her question, "How is she?"

"The doctor wants to speak with you. We've expected some... Foul play," her eyes narrowed. I clenched my jaw. They thought I'd hurt Nisa?! This was going to be interesting...