One

THANKS A BUNCH to idontknowanyhumans for picking the title !! <3

---

"Mom, come on, get up." Every night I wait up for my mother to get home. Sometimes she doesn't show up until late morning, and other times she doesn't even come home. "You need to get to bed."

"G'off me." She slurred, gripping a beer bottle in her left hand and a bag of white powder in the other. I don't bother to try and take them from her anymore. Not after the last time. I ended up in the hospital with my head cut open from being smacked with a a forty ounce beer bottle.

"Please just let me help you." What sixteen year old boy should have to put up with this?

"Get off of me!" She yelled clearly, making me let her go and stare at her. "I don't need your fucking help." With that, she stumbled down the hallway, trying to hold onto the wall without dropping the items in her hands. I sighed and closed my eyes.

When I heard her door shut, I made my way to my room and locked the door.

It's been like this for as long as I can remember. Since my father divorced her ten years ago. Now she relies on stripping to pay the bills and she can't get through a day without having some kind of drug in her system. I hardly ever see her, but when I do, she's always out of her mind. I can't even remember the last time I saw her sober.

When I turned sixteen, I went and got a part time job at a smoothie hut and I've been saving my checks every week. Mainly for emergencies, like if my mother forgets to pay the bills again. Or if we need food. And sometimes I think I should save it all so I can leave. Find a small studio apartment somewhere and be on my own, kind of like I am now. The only difference is my mom pays the bills and the rent, most of the time. I haven't had to touch any of my money yet, though. And we seem to be on time with everything. At least I hope we are.

"Hello?" I feel bad every time I call him this late. But I have no one else to talk to.

"Hey, sorry for waking you." I said quietly, wiping whatever tears were left on my cheeks. "My moms fucked up again. I tried helping her get to bed and she told me she didn't need my help. I don't think I can do this anymore."

"Fuck," he said in a whisper. "I don't know what to do, Bren. I can't drive all the way out there. You know my mom won't let me use the car, I've asked before."

"I wasn't asking you to come out here, Spence." I laughed. "I just needed someone to talk to. I have no one else."

"I know." He sighed. "But, hey. I have exams in the morning. I'll text you as soon as I get up."

"Alright. Sorry for waking you."

"It's fine. You know you can call me whenever you need to. I'll talk to you later. Night." Spencer hung up and I set mine on the floor next to my mattress. I used to have a whole bed. But my mom sold the frame and box spring a while ago. Said she needed money for the rent and she knew someone looking for a bed. She only got fifty dollars altogether, so I don't think she needed money for the rent. So now I only have a full sized mattress on my bedroom floor. It's okay though, I don't mind. At least I have somewhere to sleep.

-

"Hey Brendon. I saw your mom last night," I closed my eyes and balled up my fists and tried to keep my cool. "she was standing on the corner practically wearing nothing at all. Thought about picking her up and having my way with her, but who knows what kind of diseases she has."

They laughed. They all laughed and made fun of me and my mom every single day. I get made fun of and picked on and beat up because of the choices she makes and it makes me want to leave and never come back.