1: First Day

Chapter One

I pulled my hoodie over my head and then raced out of my room to meet everyone else in the kitchen. "Toast. I can make toast," Aunt Jenna was saying as I entered, closing the refigerator door.

"It's all about the coffee, Aunt Jenna," Elena, my twin, replied. She began pouring coffee in a mug and I moved to grab myself a mug to get some too.

"Is there coffee?" My younger brother, Jeremy asked coming in the room. He stole Elena's full cup of coffee then Elena filled my mug before grabbing another cup for herself.

"Your first day of school, and I'm totally unprepared. Lunch money?" Aunt Jenna asked, holding out money.

"I'm okay," Elena said. Jeremy was quick to grab the money.

"You need anything, Kenzie?" Aunt Jenna asked and I shook my head at her. "Anything else? A number 2 pencil? What am I missing?"

"Don't you have a big presentation today?" Elena questioned.

"I'm meeting with my thesis advisor at," Aunt Jenna was saying, checking her watch. "Now. Crap."

"Then go. We'll be fine," Elena assured her. Aunt Jenna left and Elena turned to Jeremy and I with a small frown on her lips. "You okay?" She asked Jeremy.

"Don't start," Jeremy hugged, wrapping an arm around my shoulder and leading me out the room while we both carried our mugs of delicious coffee. Jeremy kissed my cheek, saying goodbye before leaving the house to walk to school.

I waited in the living room until my ride came. Of course Elena and I were getting a ride with one of our best friends, Bonnie Bennett. "So Grams is telling me I'm psychic. Our ancestors were from Salem, witches and all that. I know, crazy, but she's going on and on about it. I'm like, 'put this woman in a home already.' But then I start thinking, I predicted Obama, and I predicted Heath Ledger. And I still think Florida willbreak off and turn into little resort islands," Bonnie was ranting on. "Elena, back in the car."

"I did it again, didn't I?" Elena asked. "I'm sorry, Bonnie. You were telling us that--"

"That I'm psychic now," Bonnie stated.

"Right, okay, then predict something about me."

Bonnie sighed first, thinking. "I see--" she was interrupted by a thud and the car screeching and it swerved. I grabbed onto the seat in front of me, my heart racing at the flashbacks. Bonnie pulled over crazily, the car skidding to a stop. "What was that?" Bonnie gasped. "Oh, my God. Elena, Kenzie, are you okay?"

"It's okay. I'm fine," Elena said, looking back at me. I shot her a short nod in reply.

"It was a bird or something. It came out of nowhere."

"Really, we can't be freaked out by cars for the rest of our life," Elena spoke for the both of us in regards to the situation at hand that nearly gave me a panic attack.

"I predict this year is gonna be kick ass," Bonnie smiled, turning to look at me. I sent her a nod too and went back to staring out the window. "And I predict all the sad and dark times are over. And you both are going to be beyond happy."

Bonnie started driving again and soon we were at school, walking through the front doors and making our way to our lockers. "Major lack of male real estate. Look at the shower curtain on Kelly Beech. She looks a hot--Can I still say 'trannie mess'?" Bonnie commented, stopping at her locker.

"No, that's over," Elena answered her.

"Ugh. Find a man and coin a phrase. It's a busy year," Bonnie chuckled. Her gaze caught on something and Elena and I both followed it to see Matthew Donovan, Elena's ex-boyfriend she broke up with after our parents died in the car crash four months ago. My sister sent the boy a wave which was ignored and she frowned, turning to face us again.