Chapter 45 - Block Party

Start from the beginning

As the traffic inched along at a painfully slow pace, Frank’s cell phone lit up. He could tell from the Florida area code on the screen that it was his ex-wife. He had left a message on her home phone on Monday after he first heard the news.

“I just got your message.”

“But I left it on Monday.”

“Yeah, well, we were on vacation in Saint Thomas and I wasn’t checking my machine. What’s happened to Johnny?” she asked.

Frank clenched his teeth. His ex-wife and her new husband were always on some sort of vacation, it seemed. “I told you all I know. He’s with my mom and she said they were safe. But they must be mixed up in some kind of trouble because I can’t find them.”

“Damn you, Frank! How could you let this happen? Your mother has always been nuts. She’s a horrible influence on him. I knew it was mistake to let Johnny stay with you and her.”

“We both agreed to let Johnny decide. Don’t starting bringing up the past. It’s not going to help anything.”

“You said you’d take care of him. You promised.” Her voice cracked and he could hear her sobbing.

“I know I did,” Frank answered. This time it was his voice breaking against a wave of sadness. “I was supposed to take care of both of them. I forgot what was most important and screwed up everything. I know that. But I am going to get them back. And when that happens, I’ll never let them go. I’ll never forget what’s important again.”

“Frank, I am coming out there.”

At the moment, Frank saw another incoming call on his screen. This time it was the phone number of Lester Cummings.

“I have to go. I’ll call you back,” he said, switching calls, as the cars lining the gridlocked freeway stutter-stepped along.

“Where have you been, Frank?” Lester growled. “You think you can hide from me? You think that your family can steal from me and get away with it?”

“Lester, for the last time, I didn’t steal from you. Whatever happened at Shady Palms, I had nothing to do with it.”

“Don’t try to bullshit me, Frank. I know it was your kid who broke into my office. I know it was your mom who shot Harry. Don’t expect me to believe you weren’t involved.”

“First of all, why would I steal from you when I am trying to pay back what I already owe you? It makes no sense.”

“You’re saying Harry is a liar about this? Are you saying he made the story up?”

“I don’t know, Lester. I am being straight with you. I don’t know what happened, but I wouldn’t put it past Harry to spin his version of a story. On the other hand, I know my mom’s a woman who’s mixed up in the head. She’s old. She’s frightened. She’s got mental problems. And my son’s just a kid who doesn’t know what he’s doing. But I didn’t try to rob you. You know this has to be true, because if I was in on it, if I did try to rob you, why would I be talking to you on the phone right now? If I wanted to rip you off, don’t you think I would’ve run as far away as possible? I’d be in Mexico or someplace where you could never find me. But I am still here in Santa Ramona. Still talking to you. Still trying to find my family and get this whole thing settled. Whatever happened at Shady Palms, whatever was taken from you, I’ll get it back. You got to trust me on this.”

There was a long pause.

“OK, so maybe there is some sense in what you’re saying. But you got to prove it to me. I want to meet you face-to-face, Valentine.”