Chapter 12: Reunited At Last

SERRINA

When I woke up to my alarm, my head was spinning, my back felt like somebody was drilling a jackhammer into it and I felt like I had eaten a bad taco. Amelia stirred in the bed beside me as I turned the obnoxious beeping off and threw my head back onto the pillow.

Fuck it.

The kids can stay home today. Im going back to sleep.

******

"Mommy." My eyes fluttered open and I saw the dark hazel eyes of my youngest daughter, "Wake up."

I began to sit up, still not feeling my best  but knowing the sleep was helping, "Whats going on babe?" I ran a hand over her face and cupped her chin.

"Some guy is at the door," I hadn't seen Braxton until he spoke and then his words had me wide awake, "He's been sitting out there for hours."

I threw the blanket off myself and swung my legs off the bed. I had moved so fast that my head got dizzy and I had to pause to focus back in, "Did you call the police? Your father?" I took a deep breath and Braxton wandered to me.

"Are you okay mom?" He put his hand on my forehead, like I had done many time before to him and his sisters, "You're not warm."

"Im fine." I pushed myself up and pulled my housecoat over my shoulders, "Is the guy still there?"

Braxton shrugged and followed me as I set out on a mission to send away the creepy stalker. The front door was closed but light shone through the windows around it. I could see a dark silhouette through one of them and my heart began to race. I reached the door and held my hand out behind me at my kids, "Stay back. I don't want you getting hurt."

Braxton gripped at Amelia shoulder and held her near him. Krystal was peering over the back of the couch, watching in curiosity.

I swung open the door and the guy sitting on the front porch looked up, exposing his green eyes and sloppy brown hair. His smile lit up his face as he stood up and slung a backpack over his shoulder, "Hey, S. A little bird told me you could use some help."

I lost the air from my lungs and my heart raced so fast I felt like I might drop dead of a heart attack. I took a step forward and then he threw me into his arms. I didnt know what to do so i just sighed and buried my face into his shoulder, "Jesus, Connor, I missed you."

He laughed and I felt it vibrating his chest, "Ditto."

******

Braxton sat in the chair on my left while Connor sat across from me. He was sipping from a large cup of coffee and staring at the kids, his eyes moving back and forth from them all. Krystal dint want to sit at the table with us so I hadn't forced her, but Braxton was curious and Amelia was friendly with just about everybody.

"They're giants now," He finally said and I sighed, a smile growing on my lips, "I mean, the twins were only 6 and Amelia was, what?' He looked to me for an answer, "3 months old?"

"Yeah," I nodded and smiled at her, "You don't remember Connor, do you?"

Amelia shook her head so hard that her hair flew into her face, "Nope." She laughed, "Do you remember me Mr.Connor?"

"Oh, just Connor is fine." He chuckled, "And I remember you very well. I saw you a few hours after you were born."

"Really?" She gasped. I hadn't told her much about the day she was born because I honestly didn't remember it very well. I slept while people saw her.

"Were you there when we were born?" Braxton spoke up and leaned onto the table.

"I was." Connor leaned in too, "It was an intense day."

My back was getting sore again and my head was pounding. Connor must've noticed because he sighed, "Why don't you go relax for a while? I wanna catch up and get to know the kids."

I looked at him for a second before sighing, "Are you sure? I don't want you to b overwhelmed."

"Psh!" He waved his hand at me, "Go to bed." I laughed and stood up, kissing Amelia on the top of the had before whispering a thank you into his ear and disappearing down the hall and into my room.

I closed my door quietly and padded over to my bed. With every step my head pounded and pain shot up my back so once I reached my bed I lowered myself in and pulled the blanket up to my neck. I let a deep breath out and closed m eyes, almost instantly falling asleep.

******

When I woke up the sun was setting out the window and I felt slightly better. My head no longer hurt, but my back and stomach still did. I sat up and looked around the room, finally deciding to get up and see how Connor was doing. I slipped my feet into some slippers in hopes that it would make my back hurt a little less and made my way towards the living room.

From the hallway, I could hear the TV and laughter. It was like music to my ears. The kids hadn't laughed this genuinely in so long that I couldn't remember the last time. When I breeched the living room nobody noticed me at first and I got to admire the enormous smiles that plastered all of their faces. Braxton and Krystal were actually sitting beside each other and Connor was situated between Amelia's dangling feet as she put clips into his hair.

Connor saw me first and smiled, turning his head to look at me. Amelia didn't notice and moved his face straight ahead so she could see her work space. Braxton looked over and jumped off the couch to walk over to me.

"Hey," He reached for my hand and dragged me over to the couch, "Are you feeling better?"

I smiled and nodded, "Much." I looked at Connor and mouthed a quiet thank you. Krystal took my other hand and began to play with my wedding ring. I bent over and kissed the top of her head, something se hadn't let me do for years. Now she leaned into my shoulder and I sighed, "What do you guys want for dinner?"

"We ordered pizza." Connor said and then winced as Amelia bounced.

"Yay! Pizza!" Her giggle made me smile.

"Yay! Pizza!" Connor repeated in a similar tone then laughed as she burst out herself.

I smiled and wrapped one arm around each of my kids, "There better not be pineapples."

Connor wiggled his eyebrows at me, "I make no promises."

I laughed, rolled my eyes and listened as the 4 of them resumed their mindless, yet hilarious, conversation, laughing as they went and genuinely enjoying the company of a guy even if it wasn't their father.