Chapter 11

Hours and hours later, I looked at the clock, and knew that dinner would be arriving shortly. Sure enough, a couple minutes later, the same two girls from the kitchen entered, carrying our dinner. I thanked them, and told them to leave it on the bedside table. They obliged, curtsied (I was glad Ivis wasn't awake to see that) and left, closing the door behind them. I decided that I should wake Ivis up and have her eat something, she looked much too thin, even for an Aberon. I shook her shoulder gently, and whispered,

“Come on, Ivis, wake up honey. It's time for dinner. Come on now, wake up that's it, wake up.” She opened her eyes, and gazed blearily around.

“Wha-what? What time is it?” she asked, sitting up and rubbing her eyes like small child.

“It's seven o'clock, and dinner's here. Are you hungry?” I asked her.

“Yes, I am. What's for dinner?” She questioned me. I peeked under the silver plate cover, and said,

“You're having rice and tofu curry, with a side of strawberries, and I'm having rice and beef curry, also with a side of strawberries,” I replied, checking under both plates.

“Mmm, smells good,” Ivis said when I handed sher her uncovered plate of food. “Thanks,” she murmured. I sat down next to her, and we took our first bites at the same time. I sighed happily, enjoying my delicious curry as Ivis enjoyed hers.

“So, when do you think we should open our letters?” I asked hesitantly, afraid that I might trigger one of Ivis's strong emotional reactions. To my relief, she remained calm when she answered.

“I think we should open them after dinner. I admit, I am curious as to what she might have to say to us,” Ivis replied.

“Yes, I know what you mean. I too am curious as to what the woman who calls herself my mother has to say,” I said, my tone barely hinting at the all consuming curiosity that I was feeling over my letter. I knew, though, that whatever the letter said, it would make Ivis very emotional, whether she'd be happy, angry or sad, I didn't know yet. I would know soon, though. All too soon. I ate slowly, trying to prolong the little peace we had here. Ivis, on the other hand, ate quickly, whether to be able to read the letter that much faster, or because she was just really hungry, I wasn't sure. When I could draw out dinner no more, I set aside our platters reluctantly, and handed Ivis her letter, holding mine in my hand.

“Well, here we go,” I said ominously, as both Ivis and I slit open our envelopes carefully, trying not to tear the letter within. I pulled it out slowly, and began to read.

Dearest Livana,

I have been watching over you, from afar, your entire life, without your knowing it. I am more sorry than you will ever know about my absence in your life and all of the secrets you are only now discovering exist. I can only assure you that they were (and are) for your safety. If I did not know for certain that your life and the hopes of our kingdom depended on it, nothing could have torn me from your side. I know Ivis must hate me, but she cannot possibly loathe me as much as I do myself. It is inexcusable to be so absent from a child's life, especially if that child is you or my beloved Ivis. This separation has been for her safety, and for yours. I miss you, and I think of you every night before I fall asleep, and every morning when I awake. You and your sister are the very best parts of my life, and I hope to see you before too long. I may make the trip up to the School soon, and I greatly look forward to meeting you and seeing Ivis again. I love you.

Yours truly,

Your mother.

P.S. Enclosed is something of great importance to your sister, and I trust that you will do everything in your power to help her.