Chapter 11: Explaining

Chapter 11

“Hey Mizuki.”

I lifted my head from where it had been resting on my arms and smiled at Klaus as he slid into his chair.

“What’s up?” I asked and reached into my bag for my water bottle.

He shrugged. “Nothing much. My life isn’t exciting like yours is.”

“It only seems that way,” I took a swig of my water. “Besides, didn’t you have a little drama going on a few weeks ago? What was that chick’s name again?”

“Annabel,” he muttered, then his expression turned sour. “How was I supposed to know they do things differently in Scotland? You foreign girls drive me insane.”

I shot him a wry look as the the bell rang.

“Uh, you seem to forget the only thing foreign about me is my name. I don’t even have an accent.”

He grumbled to himself some more and slouched down in his seat. A small laugh escaped my lips at his childish behavior, which I quickly stifled when Jase shot me an amused look. Luckily, he didn’t say anything.

“Okay guys,” Jase started, “I hope you all remembered to bring your cameras today. We’ll be taking some pictures around class today, nothing major, so if you don’t have one or forgot to bring it, come to my desk and I’ll provide you with one. But it’s first come, first serve so don’t waste time.”

I groaned and slapped my forehead. That’s what I had forgotten. It was probably still sitting on my dresser at home.

“Forget your camera?” Klaus asked while digging in his bag for his case.

I nodded and stood. “I’m going to go get one from Mr. Sammael.”

“Oh?”

The tone of voice he used made me stop and back around. Eyebrow raised, I gave him a curious look.

“Well, it’s just,” he shifted in his chair, “I thought you were all for staking him.”

“He’s my teacher, not a vampire,” I rolled my eyes. “Besides, we’ve worked a few things out. I’ll explain at lunch.”

“Yea okay,” Klaus answered, finally finding his camera and pulling it out.

I turned back to the front of the class and stood in the short line in front of Jase’s desk. He was slightly bent over a small cardboard box that he was pulling camera’s out of. When I got to the front, he straightened and shot me an apologetic smile.

“Sorry everyone. I’m all out.” Jase picked up the box and shook it to prove he was, indeed, out. “If you still don’t have one, you’ll just have to share.”

I glanced over my shoulder. It seemed to be that everyone had one. I scowled. Except for me.

“Don’t you have a camera?”

Mr. Sammael had put the box under his desk and came to stand next to me.

“I do, I just left it at home,” I paused, “at least I’m pretty sure.”

“We’ll go get it after school if you want.” He threw me over his shoulder as he walked away from me.

I opened my mouth to tell him that we didn’t have to go--I had legs, so it’s not like I couldn’t easily walk there after detention--then closed it, a small smile crossing my lips. Though I had only known Jase for a day, he was the type who obviously got what he wanted, no matter what. Arguing would only prove futile.