Chapter 37: Uncivilized Civilization

6 Ramadan, 1663

The howling wind screeched early in the morning. The sky overhead was dark with gray clouds looming about. The air, thin and freezing, gripped on to everything in sight. One strong gust sent a shiver up Abdur-Rahman's spine and awakened the young man. He was stirred from a deep sleep, his mind hazy and his memory a blur.

He sat up with a groan, opening his eyes slowly to the cold, lifeless surroundings. It was never a surprise to awaken and see miles of snow in every direction. What was a surprise, however, was to awaken on the cold, hard mountain ground, face down in the frozen dirt. It was a step up from the snow, but cold and uncomfortable nonetheless.

Abdur-Rahman rubbed his eyes and looked again. Sure enough his eyes had played no tricks, nor had his mind. He was sat upon a frozen path of dirt, with the hills and peaks of the mountains surrounding him in the distance. As his vision cleared, his eyes further explored his surroundings, catching sight of several small huts built of stone and fur, and in some cases wood and ice.

As his mind became less disoriented, he began to take notice of the few sounds in his environment. Despite the whirring winds, wailing out a frozen, agonized cry, Abdur-Rahman could hear the sounds of life. There was ice crunching beneath the footsteps of numerous people, voices raised in a humming clamor, and even the bleating call of a distant animal.

Without a doubt, Abdur-Rahman had awakened to find himself in the middle of a small village within the mountain. His eyes shifted this way and that as he took in his surroundings and noticed one thing lacking from his side; Puedam. His mind became foggy as he tried to recall what'd become of his atheist companion.

No thoughts came to mind and as he began to exhaust himself mentally, he was distracted by the sound of multiple approaching figures. He turned around to see a trio of villagers, dressed in patched cloths and wool draped over themselves. They were all of such a pale complexion that their features were almost undiscernible from a distance. There was a murmur of an unrecognized language from amongst them as they approached.

As they neared, Abdur-Rahman could make out the face of the leader amongst them, a tall man of thin build whose pale, straw colored beard was just as lengthy as the hair on his head. To his right marched a frail woman, near in age and height. Her hair was similarly thin and long, colorless and frigid. Opposite of her was an adolescent woman, her face baring striking resemblance of the older woman down to the smallest feature and yet, she bore a similar resemblance to the man.

Undoubtedly they were a family from amongst the villagers. This gave Abdur-Rahman some assurance that they were likely not a threat to himself. Still, as a soldier he knew better than to let his guard down completely. He got to his feet hastily and the three slowed their approach.

The man took the lead until he was only a few meters away from Abdur-Rahman, where he then stopped, as did the women.

"Gajarmoba ust'nuira kits'ia," the man addressed Abdur-Rahman in his strange dialect. Abdur-Rahman looked at him with a puzzled face. "Sianadast' mokhdevit'? Michag'nait' t'u r'ar ma ezane?" Still Abdur-Rahman gave no answer, unclear what was being asked of him.

"Ch'ime m'kira," the older woman interrupted. The man turned his face to hear her words. "K't'ven ver vkhadev? Igi ra iras mat' shiros riame agdolibrova regionebshi." The man gave a nod of understanding and turned back to Abdur-Rahman.

"Belki bu dili anlayacak?" he spoke, his accent changing as if he spoke an entirely different language now. Still, Abdur-Rahman could understand nothing of his words. "Net? Chto ob etom yazyke?"

Silence.

"Förstår du mig?" Abdur-Rahman stared at him, not even blinking this time. He could sense the frustration in the man growing as he struggled to communicate. Still, whatever languages he was speaking, they weren't any that Abdur-Rahman was familiar with. Thinking to make an effort on the issue himself, Abdur-Rahman opened his mouth to speak.