XV

XV

The Maxim estate was lively. Kane grew grumpy; for he had nursed a mild hangover, courtesy of the empty bottle he had left upon his bedside table. Now, as he sat within a decorative chair, Vladimir and Dominic seated beside him, he watched the sumptuous socialites as they engaged in impersonal introductions and small-talk.

Harvey Maxim had been known for his opulence and prestigious repute. Having been the face of the swanky chain of international resorts and casinos, he and his father had done much of their illicit dealings together. Underneath these establishments hid further illegal operations; much of which involved red-light lounges and brothels.

Vladimir had been giddied at the prospect of the gala. As he gawked boyishly at a pair of posh women, Dominic nudged him brusquely; as he hadn't cared for such tactlessness.

Kane had chuckled into his drink: a flute of carbonated mineral water. The act had lightly amused him, though the sentiment was painfully short-lived in the event of Hugh and Claudia Maxim's arrival at their table.

"Mr. Romanov! How exciting to see that you're in attendance this evening."

Claudia was instantly at his side, begging for his attention as though she were a love-sick pup. Kane was repulsed at her affections, having slept with her within the coat-check closet two years prior during an alcohol-fueled escapade. He regretted the night deeply, having dealt with the Maxim daughter's burdock-like devotion then since. He brushed away her hand from him curtly, the principle of manners being of paltry concern.

Hugh handed him a shot of vodka and Kane accepted it wearily. He tipped back his drink and the eldest son of Harvey Maxim followed in prompt suit.

"Sister, perhaps these two gentlemen would also care for a drink," Hugh stated rather pleasantly, waving his emptied, crystal shot-glass towards Kane's right-hand men. "Would you fetch a cocktail waitress?"

Claudia departed politely, though her stare still lingered largely on Kane Romanov. She had huffed in frustration, her brother's choice to meddle in her romantic pursuit that of ill-taste.

Beside them, Dominic had informed Vladimir of the status of the former fling. The fair-haired Vlad had been chuffed, replying to the Kuznetsov man in their native language that 'all women become obsessed, following their introduction to Russian cock'.

Kane remained surly, the topic of the plain-looking socialite of little interest given his infatuation with the Stomsvik heiress. When the cocktail waitress appeared with Claudia at her side, he accepted the additional drink, but was mindful of his tongue. He cared for neither sibling and his temper digressed heavily.

"Another," he commanded of the staff dryly. He had savored the sharp taste of alcohol, his hangover mildly waning.

Dominic suggested to Vladimir that he should woe the homely Claudia, seeing as Kane had begun to drink each shot of vodka as though it were a spoonful of medicine. The fair-haired man obliged, scooping the foolish, young woman onto his knee. He complimented her dress and the daughter of Harvey Maxim ate up the attention rather readily.

Kane finished another shot before he and Dominic excused themselves. Hugh was closely in tow, hapless amidst the company of the two large men as they walked towards the nearby cigar lounge. They talked briskly of stocks and politics before Kane settled on the topic of Harvey's absence.

"Where is he, now? I don't suppose he'd miss his own gala," Kane questioned the man sharply.

Hugh coughed on an imported cigar, a tear within his eye. He didn't much care for the smoke, yet he had sought to join the Russian men in their social activities. It occurred to him that the Romanov man had taken insult to his father's omittance to greet him personally. He hoped that such a dangerous guest had not been angered; the repercussions being that of ill-fate.