Prologue

She was seated in a blank white room; there were no walls or ceiling, just a colorless floor that seemed to protrude into infinity. A figure was standing in front of her. "Evelyn Koskey, is it?" he inquired. His voice was devoid of emotion, but somehow, it still sounded eerily human.

Evelyn didn't respond; simply glanced downwards. Connected to her chest were two strange wires. She followed them with her eyes and noticed that they both plunged straight into the ground below her. She tried to pry them from her skin and then from their outlets in the ground, but they didn't budge.

"Why am I here?" she demanded.

The figure turned his glance upwards. Hovering a few feet above him, suspended by nothing, was a large screen. A couple lines of text were displayed on it, but they were blurred and she couldn't read them.

"I'm not going to sugarcoat anything," he stated. "I'm going to kill you."

She stared blankly at him, unsure of how to react. A small, humorless chuckle escaped her lips. "...Is this a dream?"

The stranger shrugged. "Decide for yourself," he stated, meeting her gaze for the first time. "You can't feel pain in a dream." His eyes were green and they burned brightly, but they weren't exactly hostile. She couldn't read him at all.

"Alright," she responded finally.

He returned his focus to the screen and selected something. Instantly, the wires burned a blinding golden, and she felt a wave of pain shoot through her body. It felt like she was being burnt alive; the pain was hot and red and it was unbearable. Delirious with agony, she stumbled backwards and lost her balance, her body folding helplessly to the ground as the electricity continued to course through her veins.

It freaking hurt. Which meant that this was certainly not a dream.

Damn.

_____ ___ _ Prologue: END _ ___ _____

Thanks for reading the prologue! I'll try to update this story every Friday. (At least until I lose all motivation D:)

Comments, critiques, and votes are greatly appreciated! <3