The Musical Ghost

A long time ago, Caol Primary School was smaller than it is now, surrounded by the equally small the village of Caol. The old school caught fire, but the children managed to get out and only one person was killed-an old music teacher.

She went in to make sure there were no more children left in the building and died in the old music room, which later became the only part of the old building left, as it was made of stone.

Years went by. The old room and its chimney stack became a storage room for broken chairs and the janitor's things. Strange animal bones were often found out on the ground in front of the building and the heavy concrete slab steps to the door would move during the night.

It is said that if you go and play in front of the storage room at midnight-especially if you sing "Ring Around the Rosy," an old woman with long nails comes rushing out to grab unsuspecting children and drags them into the building, never to be seen again. Some say you can hear music in the top window and see a shadowy figure moving around.

The most scary story about the old music room still haunts my dreams to this day.

A long time ago, before the room was changed to storage, it remained empty and unused. Its mysterious nature intrigued a young boy and his friends, who bet to each other that they couldn't get to the top room without being a big yellow chicken and turning back. Each boy (there were four of them) took turns preparing to go into the room, but always got too scared once they had entered the doorway.

The last boy, however, wanted to show his friends he could do it, so he went in. Five minutes later, the other three boys heard music from inside the building. Thinking it was their friend, they went in, laughing. They followed the sound of a piano up a small flight of stairs to the top room and opened the door.

None of the boys would ever forget the sight that met them.

On the floor was their friend, his hair white, his eyes staring at nothing. But what really got them turning on their heels was the piano. The old piano was being played by two hand puppets.

There are many ghost stories about the storage room (which was later called the witch's tower), but all feature the same old music teacher, who grabs children and blames them for her death.

Two years ago the storage room was knocked down due to health and safety. Now the children can play free of fear of the witch's ghost.