Chapter 20

When we arrived back at our house, terror raced through my veins. My mom would find out I lied, and I'd be grounded for eternity.

We got out of the car, and Emma and her parents strolled up to the front door. Jasmine decided to wait outside. Thanks a lot.

I stepped into the front door, and my mom was waiting for me, obviously angry. She held something in her hand, and I could already guess it was a magazine with my face on it. I gulped.

"Hi mommy," I said innocently.

Emma and her parents followed me inside.

"Karen! So nice to see you again," Emma's mom sung, her arms outstretched.

My mom glanced her way. "Trina, could Kiley and I talk alone for a minute?"

She nodded, and then herded Emma and her husband into the living room. I placed my arms behind my back nervously.

"Kiley, why is your face plastered all over these magazines with Dylan O'Brien?!" my mom exclaimed, her face turning red. "I thought you told me you were staying in Colorado, with Emma and her family?"

I laughed nervously, glancing at the cover. That's definitely my face with Dylan, the night we were leaving the pizzeria in New Mexico. "Photoshop these days, am I right?"

"How can you continue to lie about this?!"

"Mom, calm down. I'm okay!"

"No. This is not okay. You deliberately disobeyed me! And all for what?! To hang out with some arrogant actor?"

Now it's my turn to be angry. "Mom! He's not some arrogant actor! And you know how much those people mean to me! This was my dream to hang out with them!"

"I don't care, Kiley. You lied to me and could've gotten seriously hurt! Do you really think I wouldn't find out?"

"Yes," I mumbled, staring at the floor.

"Well nice try. Because you just earned yourself a month of being grounded!"

I quickly looked up at her and gasped. "What?! You're being so unfair about this!!"

"You heard me. Maybe next time you'll think before even trying to pull that crap off."

My eyes began to water. "I can't believe you! You're punishing me for living out my dream?!"

She narrowed her eyes. "Maybe in the future you'll strive for goals that aren't ridiculous. And since you want to argue, how about I delete the contacts from your phone? Just in case there is any Dylan O'Brien number in there?"

"Ugh! I can't believe you!" I yelled, tears streaming down my face. "You can't do this!"

"I can and I will Kiley. Go to your room."

Anger bursted at my seams. How could she even think of doing that? "I hate you!" I shouted, then raced up to my bedroom.

I slammed my bedroom door shut and flopped onto my bed. I grabbed my pillow and began soaking my tears with it.

Then, my door opened. Jasmine slowly walked in. She sat down on my beanbag chair. "Sorry Kiles."

I glanced up at her. "Did she say she was going to tell your mom?"