Chapter 9

Two hours later and I eventually managed to wash all the cake out of my hair. I climbed out of the shower and dried myself before throwing on the first set of clothes that came to hand.

My first pack meeting was in twenty minutes-thats when I heard the ear splitting scream that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

"Vaammpiirre!"

Running down the stairs and out the house, I shifted in min-stride, just as I passed through the front door. Immediately I could smell the sickeningly sweet smell of death. I followed it to find a mass of vampires wreaking havoc on the pack. I lunged at the male vampire closest me me, snapping his neck before ripping him apart. I spat part of his arm out and continued onto my next victim.

I could sense that I had two Alpha's flanking me, taking the traditional position of Beta and Third in Command. Eventually we had enough wolves to form a circle, forcing the vampires to attack us head on. As wolves and Vampires lay deceased on the ground around us, the vampires began to make a stratigic retreat.

The adrenaline was pumping through my body, and I felt my natural instinct as Alpha take over.

"Capture, not kill!" I said, sending the order out to every wolf fighting. I hadn't realised the power of my words until I saw the three largest wolves' front legs buckle and them drop into a bow in front of me.

No matter the pack, the average wolf could not refuse a direct order from an Alpha. But never in the history of our legacy has an Alpha ever held power over an equally ranking wolf, let alone three.

Automatically, I mind linked Luke to tell him what had just happened.

'Luke, something weird just happened.' I connected. I waited, but no reply came. 'Luke?' I tried to let my mind wander, to find out where he was... after a moment I froze. I couldn't find him. "I want these vampires detained.." I called over my shoulder as I ran towards the house.

"Kitty, what's going on?" Chase asked running behind me.

"Somethings wrong, I can't sense Luke." I said frantically. I couldn't pick up a fresh scent.

I ran straight up stairs ignoring Chase's pleas for me to slow down. "Babe please." He asked.

"I have to find him." I replied, my voice breaking at the end.

The door was still open from where the fighters had ran out and I continued straight into the house and up the stairs. I continued to yell Luke's name both aloud and mentally as I pushed his bedroom door open. He wasn't there, but his room was upturned and I could smell that at least three vampires had been in here. They had taken my brother.

Luke, the only person that would ever completely understand me. If he was gone, then I dont think I could bring myself to be able to cope-to function at all without him.

Chase eventually caught up with me and saw that I was crying. He picked me up, cradling me to his chest as i continued to weep.

"Shhh, we'll find him, its alright." Chase comforted me. I pressed the side of my head against his chest, looking towards the mirror on the wall. That's when I saw it. Something lavender in colour stuck to the mirror.

I stood up, walking towards the mirror and pulled the envelope off the glass. It was addressed with my full name.

Katherine Mellissa Hunter

With shaking hands I opened the envelope and a single sheet of paper fell out.

I re-read the note before turning on my heels and marching down the hall. I didn't even bother to knock as I made my way into my mother's room.

She wa sitting on her bed with a book.

'Katherine thats not very lady-" I held up a hand, stopping her in mid sentence.

"You've got some explaining to do..." I said coldly.

"What?" She asked confused.

This_" I threw the note towards her.

Dear Katherine,

Don't worry, I'll take good care of Lucas. Please send my regards to your mother.

Uncle George.

"You have a brother?" I asked her. She looked at me with wide eyes full of fear.

"You might want to sit down." She managed to choke out.

"Tell me everything."