chapter 12) before disaster

Delilah got up from bed on a regular Tuesday morning, just another Tuesday, another day of the year. It was just another regular damn day.

Delilah got ready for school, picked up all of her things and her school supplies.
And as soon as Delilah got down into the kitchen, she practically dropped her all of her things.

"Dad?"

"Hey Del! I missed you, bud."

And now Delilah was shocked, because she hasn't seen her dad in four whole years.

Her eyes were big and wide, and she was trying super hard not to cry.

"What're you doing here? What the hell?"

Maybe she spent so long being sad, that she didn't spend anytime being mad. She was outraged, pissed the hell off.

Who does he think he is? Moving to a different state half-way across America and not contacting her for four years?

"I think you should sit down, Del." He told her, and suddenly his voice got serious, and Delilah took this chance to look at her mom, who had her back turned to them and was burying her face in her hands.

"Where's Derek?" She asked her father, very cautiously, while taking a seat on the stool next to his.

"Well you see here, Delly, your brother had an accident, and he passed away yesterday."

And three minutes passed, and four, and so many minutes, that it felt like an hour. Because Derek was not dead, and they were just kidding.

"What?"

"Delilah-"

"No."

"Delilah listen, honey, it happened so suddenly, and really-"

"No. What the hell? No. Why are you here? Why do you always have to fuck things up?" She got up, and realization finally dawned on her, and Delilah flipped.

All of these things, all of this weight that she had been carrying, this whole entire facade she had put up, it was over, and earth had finally broken her, because that's how she felt, broken.

"Delilah. Your brother was very troubled, and he was living a really troubled life, he made some really stupid decisions, and he's gone. Honey, we need to all be here for eachother." Her father said, and that made her even madder.

She picked up anything she could find and threw it on the floor, "No!"

"You know what it is? This is all your fault! You never gave a shit about him! You're a shit parent! The hell was he suppose to do? You fleft us! He didn't have anyone to turn to when you guys left, and he was alone. He wasn't stupid, he made some stupid decisions, but you didn't help, and now he's dead! He's fucking dead, dad!" She screamed, she felt dizzy and light-headed. She was gasping for air and struggling to breath.

She was stepping on broken plates and she was stepping on her broken heart, and she just felt tired. So damn tired.

"Delilah, this is not your fathers fault. Don't blame this on him."

"Oh shut the fuck up."

Her mother gasped, "Delilah! Do not raise your voice at me. I am your mother."

"Jesus Christ?!? Derek is dead! Where the hell is your sympathy? No wonder he wanted to
leave!"

Delilah's small body hit the floor. She was holding herself and sobbing, and she wanted her brother, her Derek, the Derek that would stay with her and re-assure her when mom and dad got into big fights, and he was all she had, and now she realized she was all he had.

And she was just wondering, if maybe she could've done something to save him, because now he was gone.

"Delilah, honey, get up."

"Get the hell off me!"

So she grabbed all of her things, her phone, her bag, some money, and left.

She didn't go to school, and she didn't go to apartment 206, she just went anywhere.

And maybe somewhere in the sky, her brother was there with her.