Chapter VIII Secrets and Rumors

Chapter 8 Secrets and Rumors

Jason

"So why are they so overprotective over you?" Trent asked as they both headed down the bleachers together. Jason was trying his best not to notice his every head movement casted his way. The guy was just being nice. There was no need to read into it any further than it really was. All that mistaking kindness for flirting.

"Because I'm gay can't you tell?" Jason didn't mean to whip the words out like that so he had to apologize quickly. "Sorry, but you have heard about it? It's still going around. Haven't you?" He had to squint against the sun.

Jason wouldn't admit it, but for once, in a long time, he felt more than a little scared. He was alone in a football field with a guy who could very well be a homophobe. Jason was more prepared, Caitlin had him carry a can of pepper spray when she knew Nicklaus or herself couldn't be around. Besides that, Nicklaus was (still was) Jason's trainer on how to defend himself.

"No." Trent answered with an almost shocked expression. "I think rumors are a waste of time."

What if he decided to cancel giving Jason a ride? What if he waited for nothing? More importantly, why should it matter to him? Jason felt like he was being childish and stupid all over again.

Why did his heart feel like a hammer inside his chest whenever Trent looked at him? Jason's palms was already feeling sweaty.

"Then that's something we can both agree on." Jason said, not letting the chaos he felt inside show.

They walked a little further, past the football field when Jason suddenly had no idea where they were going. That caused Jason to stop in mid step to brace himself before Trent spoke again. "You know I don't care. Right?"

Jason didn't bother hiding the confusion from his face. He no longer had any idea what they were talking about anymore. Jason found he had a hard time keeping track about anything they talked about. It was like time, place and subjects became irrelevant when they talked. At least to Jason. Jason had no idea if that was how Trent felt.

"That you're gay I mean." He said, but Jason was still waiting for the other shoe to drop. "Who does it harm? Two men, two women, a man with another man and another woman even though their best friends, who cares right?" Trent managed to crack a smile at the last bit. Not even Jason could resist.

"Well two men did get hurt when said man was apparently cheating on other man with another woman." Jason never knew he had that wittiness in him.

Trent's face pulled into a smile and Jason wished he could frame that moment and have it mounted someplace for him to see daily. It would beat the phrases of encouragement his mom left for him to see every morning. "Since we're uh," Trent was suddenly one having a hard time looking at Jason now. Jason wished he could reach out to touch him, soothe him somehow. Which was irrational of him. "But just so we're clear, I'm bisexual."

Jason's heart was traveling at light speed and he hoped to anyone above was paying attention, but it better not show!

"Ok," he said mostly in confirmation but sensed there was more, "so..."

"So I'm not out to my whole family yet." Trent said mostly to his feet as they continued walking. "It's not that I'm ashamed of myself."

"You're not ready." Jason found himself finishing and suddenly felt sick for having spoken without thought.

Trent had stopped walking and was suddenly looking at Jason with nothing but relief. There was a praise-worthy, feverish look in his usually hooded looking eyes. The blue in his eyes had a zest for life in them. Why hadn't Jason ever noticed this? Oh right, this had been only day two of them knowing each other. Of course he hadn't noticed. That would be too awkward. Moving too fast.