Eighteen - Nieve

I race out of the room, hoping Myra has enough sense to get under the bed, even if it won't really hide her if my mum goes in. And leave the window open? I shrug.

"Hi mum!" I greet as I hastily close the door behind me.

"Nieve? What are you doing still up?" She eyes the closed door behind me. "What's going on in there?"

"Shh, Peter's asleep." I whisper. She just looks at me, expecting an answer. I groan quietly and answer her. "I couldn't sleep. I was worried about you - you're never back this late! What happened?" I point out.

"Shh! Let's talk in your room." I wince as she brushed past me and pushes into my room, and I follow her, hoping Myra is well hidden.

My mum goes over to the window, which I swear I left closed. She begins to shut it but, remembering Myra's words, I stop her. "Aren't you cold? It's freezing in here!" My mum points out.

Great, now I have to lie to her. It is cold, but I stubbornly state, "I'm hot."

Mum places her hand on my cold skin and gives me a disbelieving frown. "Sure." She gazes around my room. Apart from being a bit messy, like always, there's nothing unusual around, and I panic slightly. Where is she?

"Anyway, why are you back so late?" I try and take my mind of the werewolf.

"I thought you'd be asleep." She delays my question, and I stare at her. "Alright, I was working overtime, okay? Are you happy now?!"

"Mum." I whisper. "Why? What aren't you telling me? You work so much lately, and you're so tired. We never see you anymore, but you won't tell me what's wrong. Please, mum. Please." I beg her.

Her eyes soften, and for a moment I believe that she's going to tell me everything. Then her eyes harden to become the woman who seems to have replaced my soft-spoken, caring mother. "Go to sleep, Genevieve."

My jaw drops, and my eyes narrow. My mum hasn't called me 'Genevieve' in two years, since the teacher had to call my mum to explain that I was picking fights in the playground. "The full name? Really? What did I do? Why- why are you like this? Is it- is it something I've done?" I hate how vulnerable my voice becomes.

The cold woman is gone. I see the pain in her eyes, and know that this is the mum I know.

"Oh, Nieve, I'm so sorry. I never knew you felt that way. If I had known-"

"Mum, please, just tell me what's wrong."

She sighs. "In the morning, sweetheart. You're tired, you need to sleep now." She moves towards the door, but I place a hand on her arm, stopping her.

"Mum, I'll never go to sleep now. You need to tell me what's wrong. You - you're scaring me."

Her shoulders slump, and she walks behind me, collapsing onto the bed. I sit gingerly next to her.

"It isn't your fault." Mum glances up at me, biting her lip. "But having two children is an expensive thing. I-I'm falling behind on the payments - on the house, on the school fees, on everything. But I feel so guilty leaving you two on your own, and-and" A silent tear trickles down her cheek.

My heart breaks.

I hug her, her tears splashing onto my back burning me, accusing me, breaking me. "I'm so sorry." I whisper, feeling my tears mingle hesitatingly with hers.

She pulls back, staring at me fiercely. "No! Don't you dare apologize! It isn't your fault. God, Nieve, you're the last person I need an apology from."

"But-" It is my fault. I want to scream.

"Nieve, look at me. This is not your fault. Oh, God, this is why I didn't tell you. You're a lifesaver, Nieve, looking after your brother, and you and him are the highlights of my day. I wish I had more time to spend with you, I feel like such a disgraceful mother." She confides to me.

"Don't ever think that." I whisper back to her. "Look how much you've done for us. You will never be a disgrace." She whimpers into my shoulder."I love you." I whisper, quieter now, knowing how much she needs to hear those three words.

Exhausted, her eyes droop slowly closed, and I study her. For the first time, I see the obvious signs that I should have noticed weeks ago.

Her eyes are tired and lack the bright spark that used to dance in them. Her voice is no longer soft, but flat and tired. Black bags haunt her eyelids, and her bones are prominent in her face. She looks thin and tired and ill. I sigh, tucking her into my bed. I don't have the heart to wake her.

Walking over to the window, I stare out into the night, breathing into the cool night air. Calm down. I tell myself. You're okay. The tears streaming down my face contradict my point. You're okay, you're okay. The words don't help.

It hurts.

My mum is someone who I've always been able to rely on; it's how it should be. A child should never have to comfort their mother. It breaks you. Slowly, silently, like poison, it slithers into your heart.

I close the window.

I have enough problems without Myra's on top.

Yet something within me rebels at the idea of leaving the she-wolf alone.

She's just like you. My subconsciousness whispers. She's alone, she hasn't even a mother to rely on. She has to be strong for the 'pups.' What would you do in her situation?

I want to scream. It's like there are two different voices in my head, and I don't know which one to believe, which one is me. Am I going insane?

Help her. Leave her. Help her. Leave her. Help her. Leave her... What do I do?

So what if her situation's like yours? She can deal with her own problems.

But there's only one of her. And she's been locked in a cage for God-knows-how-long. She needs you. My consciousness argues.

The rational side of my head replies, Maybe so, but how long do you think you can cope? Hmm? You're barely holding together as it is, you could hurt your mum and Peter, your family, if you get yourself into this mess. And besides, you're still a child. How much help do you think you're going to be?

It's something, at least.

Really? You can only offer her false hope. You can't offer her a place to stay, in case your mother finds out. You can't offer her money, because you have none yourself. You can't offer any advice, because you're just as clueless as she is. And you can't go with her, because you have to look after Peter. What about him, hmm? You're just going to abandon him, your own little brother, for this girl you met yesterday? For Gods sake, Nieve, you're not even the same species!

I shake my head. It doesn't matter! She's still a living, feeling being that's hurting! It doesn't matter that she can turn into a wolf, she needs and deserves help!

My mind made up, I make my way downstairs, staring out of the kitchen window and wondering where my werewolf friend is.

It doesn't matter how little I can help her, I have to try.

---

Okay, so not much action in this part... Sorry. But yeah... At least I actually updated! :-). Also, another part might be coming soon, but that could mean anything, because this is me, and I am the worlds laziest updater. *Hides behind chair.*

Postive: at least we can see some of Nieve's family life! And I have no idea why I put this in! :-)

So, um, yeah. Bye?