IX. Seeking Warmth

Heat in spiraling motion surrounded her frame in an ambrosial warmth. She leaned against the mineral stone resting on the edge of the pool and sighed deeply. The open sky greeted her with a stinging cool sensation, so she sinked deeper into the hot water.

"Nee-san, you shouldn't do that, you'll get dizzy!"

Rin gave a bitter chuckle, shrugging off her sister's concern and sighed at the feeling of warmth pooling in every inch of her body. Ema shook her head from the bathing section, wrapping a dry towel around her wet hair before entering the open-aired bath next to her sister.

"You're too cruel, Ema." Rin sighed, an arm covering her pink-tinted face, "I'm supposed to be older: more responsible of you yet, you always go beyond my expectations. You grew up too fast."

Ema pouted, "You sound like a father whose daughter is leaving him."

"Since our father never even took a glance at us, I might as well be one."

"Now, don't be like that." Ema frowned at her sister's remark, "He cares about us, you know that — he's just a busy man!"

Rin gave a short hum in reply, turning her head away before mumbling:

"Cares, huh." Ema nodded in response eagerly, "Caring and loving is not the same thing, Ema."

"Well, forget it. It was a mere slip of my tongue."

Ema gave her sister a brief hum in reply, losing her words to Rin's sharp comment. Rin was like an cutting icicle and Ema was the opposite — someone who could never cut through an icy being such as her sister. Ema heard a faint whisper of apology rang through the air and she smiled in reply. Rin wasn't looking her way but Ema doesn't need her to. Ema giggled before sinking herself deeper into the water.

Even if she can't cut through it, doesn't mean she can't melt it.

"The stars are so clear tonight," Rin trailed off, staring into the open ceiling displaying a sprawl of tiny twinkling pristine light. "I wonder why."

"Actually now that you've said it, they are really bright — at least compared to what he can see from our house." Ema thought out loud, now also staring at the same sight. "Ah! Maybe it's because we're currently further away from the city and the sky is clearer?"

"Maybe."

"Should we go star-gazing tonight?" Ema suggested in glee, smiling towards her with a smile impossible for Rin to resist. "Please?"

Rin shook her head with a chuckle, "Why not?"

"It's settled then!"

***

The vending machine dinged mechanically before a can dropped down from the display with a loud clank. Rin kneeled down to pick the frosted beverage from the machine. She picked up her coins of change before popping the tab of the can open. She gulped down the drink, savoring the coldness that washed down her flushed cheeks.

"Excuse me,"

Rin scooted to the side to give space for the next user, leaning against the wall next to the vending machine. She cradled the freezing can on her hand and once or twice pressing it against her warm cheeks. The person occupied by choosing a drink to by smiled at the scene, before tapping a hand against her head.

"Cute."

Rin jumped back, hitting her shoulders against the wall in process. Natsume hurried to her aid and grabbed her shoulders gently in concern. Natsume sighed in relief once the girl confirmed that she was fine.