Chapter Six - Jaxon

Chapter Six - Jaxon

     Jack stared quizzically, observing my reaction to the cat that was on the steps. "You know this cat?" He finally said, returning his gaze to the grey figure. Once the door had opened, Mitzi gracefully padded up the steps and towards me, rubbing her lithe body on the pants of my pajamas. "Of course I do, she is my cat afterall." My smile widened as the rumble of her purr sounded while her tail curled around my legs. I bent over and as she meowed with pleasure, I lifted her up and into the craddle of my arms where she laid and rested her head against me. "Jack, this is Mitzi, my Nebelung cat." Nebelungs were a rare breed of domestic cat, and I was lucky to even have Mitzi; even though I paid a lot to be able to take her. Now that I was close to her, the once glowing eyes that I had last seen in my house were a clear peridot, no longer emotionless but pouring with love. We shared a bond that was inceperable, Mitzi was my best friend; as well as I was hers.

"That cat has been standing outside since the day you came yesterday." Jack muttered, staring down at Mitzi with a puzzled expression under his mask.

Heat overwhelmed me, "Well why didn't you let her inside!" Jeff could have known Mitzi, she was there afterall when he had tried to maul me. Before Jack could answer though, I interupted him, "Whatever, let's just go to my house." He huffed a sigh, and together we walked through the forest and out the way that I had come in with Jeff. The walk wasn't long, however I thought most of the way that Jack lied and he was ordered to slit my throat; though once we had reached the street in front of my house, I knew that Jack wasn't lying and I was thinking foolish. Most of the way, we walked in silence with the only noise being Mitzi's purring and the sound of leaves crunching under our shoes in Fall. I was gone a day, how had my friends reacted once I did not show up at school? The thought of Jaxon continued to come to my mind, how had my baby brother acted once he woke to an empty room where his only sister was?

I ran up the stone steps to my house with Jack behind me, tracking me like a hawk as I opened the door with a spare key I found under the Welcome mat. Mitzi lept from my arms now after her short slumber and ran into the house as quick as a bullet, straight up the stairs, and straight for Jaxon's room. My parents were at work, and there, asleep on the couch was a babysitter that was dressed in green; her soft snores rumbling in the house. Clashing of plastic could be heard from upstairs, and relief washed over me; Jaxon was continuing his daily routine of playing with his plastic cars. "Be quiet Jack." I hissed at him, and he placed his hands on his hips as if to mock me.

I slowly walked on the wooden floor with Jack behind me, though he seemed to be weightless because he was even quieter than me as we walked past the sleeping woman on my couch. We went the same way Mitzi had, up the stairs and down the hall, passing my room. With a quick glance inside, I could see that my window was still open, the screen missing, nothing had changed since I had left last night. Once I reached Jaxon's room, I took a deep breath and completely ignored Jack as I opened the door to his room.

My knees felt weak as I saw my little brother playing with his plastic coloured cars, and Mitzi curled up in his lap as if she belonged there. Instantly, he looked up at me with his oceanic eyes shinning with a sudden spark of happiness. "Shh!" I put a finger over my lips before Jaxon could shout my name. For a three year old toddler, he was a noisey one, and my parents suspected ADHD.

I left Jack in the hallway and crashed down in front of Jaxon, my eyes blurred with tears of joy. "Jaxon.." I whispered hoarsly, and threw myself at him as I began to softly sob into his red Bob the Builder shirt. "I missed you so much Jaxon." I continued, rubbing his golden curls back from his pale face, a wide smile spread from ear to ear; a cute smile, one with missing and growing teeth. He seemed to miss me just as much, because he balled my pajama shirt into his fists and rubbed his cheek against my shoulder. Mitzi of course laid in between both of us, compellingly aware of the situation. The ache in my heart killed me slowly, and although I cherished the time I was spending with Jaxon, I knew that Jeff would not let me stay. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jack standing in the doorway of Jaxon's room with his hands shoved into his pockets deep. After long moments, I gripped Jaxon's square shoulders and held him in front of me with tears streaming on my burning face, now it even hurt to smile. His crystalized eyes bore nothing but love and happiness, eyes of friendship and everlasting love in a siblings bond.

"Wher' wer' yu." Jaxon slurred, being that he missed teeth and had an accent, sometimes Jaxon's speaking was hard to determine.

"I wish I could tell you Jackie." I murmured quietly, though my voice was barely even a whisper as I spoke with the ball lodged in my throat.

Jack stood as awkwardly as he could when Jaxon finally noticed him standing in the doorway and pointed a chubby finger at him. "Who tha'?"

Turning my gaze to Jack, I wondered what to call him to Jaxon. My brother didn't understand the meaning of kidnappers, murderers, or kidney-stealers, so I could only come up with one thing. "Jaxon, this is Jack, my friend." Surprisingly, I didn't find it hard to say those words because inside I knew it was true.

"Fren'" Jaxon repeated, patting the carpeted ground beside him four times, looking at Jack with a curled smile. For some reason, Jaxon didn't seem the least bit scared of Jack, though in a childish mannor I wondered if Jack appeared like an imaginary friend to Jaxon. Whoever was my friend instantly became a friend of Jaxon; a cheery toddler that loved to run and play all day long, someone that most parents would find a nuisance. The kind of little boys that drew on the walls in crayon, tugged at the cats tail, and put anything in his mouth that he could find.

When Jack didn't move, Jaxon frowned and patted the carpet beside him again; I spoke for him, "Jack, he wants you to sit down." My voice was more than a demand than anything, I would not allow Jack to make my brother distraught now. Seeing my expression and how serious I was, Jack huffed a sigh and plopped himself down next to Jaxon. The bright smile reappeared on his face, illuminated by his blonde curls that reflected the sunlight that poured from his window. Suddenly, Jaxon had taken my hand as well as Jack's, and began to hum a song while slowly tilting back and forth. At this moment, I never wanted to leave, and I never wanted to go back in that abandon house with Smile, Jack, and Jeff. All I wanted was to be here with Jaxon, even if Jack could leave I would be even more delighted for having my brother all to myself. The three of us sat in this position for moments long, me and Jack just watching him, even though he had closed his eyes to hum a similar tune to Twinkle Twinkle.

A sudden crash from downstairs had ended the soft humming of Jaxon, and he instantly opened his crystal eyes with horror to the sudden sound. Mitzi ran for dear life, streaking down the hallway and disappearing once again. For a second, the three of us sat in dead silence as we were shocked, Jack to be the first to snap from the trance like nature, I second, and Jaxon stunned for longer. "I'll go check, if the babysitter woke up we can't have her seeing you." I whispered to Jack, who nodded in agreement. Although it was hard, I slipped my hand out of Jaxon's tiny one, and got up from where I sat. With a quick glance over my shoulder, I couldn't help but smile as I saw Jaxon curl up against Jack, even though Jack seemed to have no parenting skills and didn't know what to do; whether he should push Jaxon off or wrap his own arms around the child.

Once I got out of the room, I shut the door behind me as quietly as I could, and began to head down the hallway. The next thing I saw made me draw my hand over my mouth to supress a scream.

There lay the babysitter in the middle of the floor, her body sliced up in all different directions and her eyes gouged out from her own skull. Blood stained everywhere in my parent's living room, traces on the wall and on the floor, staining most of the furniture like our new green couch. She laid in an awkward position, with her legs curled as if she had broken them somehow; her mouth as well was open and missing teeth that I guessed was from the fall that impacted on her skull, which was conceivably crushed. "Where have you been?" Jeff! He followed us here!

"Jeff, what the fuck!" I screamed at him as he appeared from the kitchen, his white hoodie doused in new blood and the blade of his knife dripping with scarlet.

"I never gave Jack the permission to take you back here." He growled lowly, piecing me with a dark stare.

Bitting my lip, rage overcame me, "It's my house! You're the one who took me anyways! I just wanted to see my brother!" I screamed at him. Hearing the click of the door, I knew that Jack had emerged from hiding with Jaxon; though when I glanced that way I noticed Jaxon was not with him, still in the room.

"You voulenteered. Then again, I wanted to kill you. Why don't we just end this now?" He snapped, whipping the blade of his knife on his hoodie. Implying to kill me set Jack off, "You're not hurting Livia."

"Oh? And why not, you fell in love with her?"

Jack coughed, "I'm not saying that at all, but I thought she was your favorite victim." A knife when flying in a blurr, and stabbed itself straight into the wall behind Jack. "Oh, so close." Jack muttered sarcastically, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I did that purposely." Jeff snarled, and then ran at me, though I was sure he was going to snap my neck while he could. Instead, he easily went behind me, and tucked his arms under mine till he grabbed me and lifted me straight off my feet. "What the hell! Jeff, let me go!" I screamed loud, my voice echoing through the halls of the house as I thrashed around. "Jaxon!" I cried, looking back at Jack. "Please, let me stay with Jaxon!" Though of course, Jeff's answer was no.

He dragged me out from that house, no matter how much screaming and kicking I had done, the grip Jeff had on me did not loosen. Jack followed out, and shut the door once I was on the porch of my house with Jeff still clinging to me roughly. Tears soiled my cheeks, my face was hot, and my blonde locks had begun to stick to my sweaty face. "I hate you." I murmured barely audible to Jeff and Jack; though somehow they both managed to hear. "I know." Jeff muttered back, lifting me over and handing me to Jack. "We're going to speak later, Jack." He added, walking down the porch. I was lost of energy, and at the moment I wanted to curl, throw up, and die. There was nothing I wanted more than to be with Jaxon. In Jack's arms, I felt hot rage towards Jeff. Why did he want to destroy everything I knew and loved? For the most part, why did I have developing feelings for him?

"It's okay." Jack whispered, Jeff being out of reach to hear. "Jaxon fell asleep, he'll be okay, I promise." He murmured, and I slowly nodded as I stiffled my sobs. We were on the way back to the abandon house, and through the entire time I watched over Jack's shoulder how the police had begun to circle my house. The last image I saw before the woods blocked my view was a police woman carrying my sleeping brother from the house, and handing him off to my mother.

Where did Mitzi go?