Secret Discovery

"Why have you never told me I had a sister?" I demanded.

For a moment she only looked at me. "What are you talking about?"

"I saw her!" I yelled. "I know what you have not been telling me all these years! The girl from my dream! She is real! What have you never told me?!"

Mother seemed a little surprised. She mumbled something I couldn't hear. "What?"

She got up and walked to her balcony. "I was not hiding this from you. I was waiting for you to find out."

"You lied to me! You told me she was dead!"

"No," she said calmly. "I told you she had gone missing. And she did. Only later did I find out why." She looked back at me. "And how."

"What are you talking about?"

She looked back towards the forest. "I did not send her away."

I shook my head, confused.

She sighed calmly and turned back around, walking to me slowly and put my hands in hers. "When you were very young, very young, just newborn, you and your sister were sleeping in your separate cribs. Your sister began to cry. One moment I was coming to see what the matter was. The next..." She breathed deeply. "The next, I came into your room, and your sister was just...gone."

My mouth was gaping. She brought me over to her bed and I sat down lightly, trying to process what she had told me. "I..."

"You musn't blame yourself, child. It was not your fault."

"How else can you explain it? The only rational explanation is that it was my powers!"

"Shh!" She looked to see if anyone was watching. "You must keep these a secret! I am going through great lengths just to keep you a secret! If someone found you, I do not know what will happen. But if someone found out about your powers...." I saw her shiver. "You must be careful."

I bowed my head. "Can I ever see her?"

"Perhaps. I do not know. She is with Gandalf, who would not enter our borders unless in a dire situation."

I looked away. So this whole time, I had a sister. And it was all my fault that she was gone.

"Mother," -I looked back at her- "are we identical?"

Now it was her turn to look away. I almost couldn't hear her answer. "Yes."

She looked into my eyes, the way she did when she was sincere about something. "Never speak of this to anyone. No one can know."

"Why?" I asked, unable to keep in my curiosity. "Why must me and my sister be kept a secret?"

"Not now, child. You must train."

She released my hands and went back to the balcony.

I walked to the door and stopped. "Does she have powers, too?"

"Yes."

=========================

Sorry if that was short. I just really needed to put that in there. What's life without a little mystery? Sorry, again, if that was a little short. Enjoy, please.

(Spoiler alert: bold=Elvish. Of course MC don't know that. Yet. Gah, I really just wanna get the secret out!)