Return

Falling asleep a second time was much harder. Abel had so many things on his mind concerning what Kirin had said that he found himself just keeping his eyes closed. He knew that people didn't just kiss each other... unless they were drunk. He hadn't smelled any alcohol on the lawman, though, which meant that he was definitely not under its influence. After living beneath his father's roof his entire life, Abel was quite adept at sniffing out the mind-altering drink on one's person.

As they continued to ride throughout the day, Abel did his best to keep his ruse going. He was exhausted, but he instead focused his attention on the sounds that met his ears. Birds were the main source besides the horse's constant clopping of its hooves. As warmth took over shade and the sound of the birds quieted, Abel knew that they had finally left the forest and were likely only a few minutes from Kirin's orchard. He opened his eyes when he felt the horse's hooves change beat against the firm land between lines of large apple trees.

Shifting his weight, Abel winced as he felt pins and needles stab at his reawakening rump. Perhaps pretending to be asleep has not been the best idea. He didn't have much time to dwell on that fact, however, because they were soon coming to a stop outside of Kirin's barn. His stable boy hurried out to meet them, grasping the horse's reins so that Kirin could dismount then catch Abel as he tried to do the same. But Abel fell as he tried to move his numb legs.

"Are you okay, Abel?" Kirin asked as he held him on his feet, pressed firmly against his chest for leverage. Abel didn't want to be fussed over any further and forced his legs to accept his weight. Once he was released, he stumbled once, twice, then finally gained steady footing in the tamped grass.

"I think I am okay."

The lawman didn't seem as convinced as Abel tried to sound in his reassurance, but he eventually just shrugged and nodded for the boy to take his horse away. Abel turned and began heading for the house at that moment, wanting to get at least a few steps ahead of Kirin. Thankfully, the man allowed him the small freedom until they were forced to stand side by side on the porch. Kirin knocked, but he obviously hadn't needed to.

"My boy!"

Lady Lelynn had the door swinging open before Kirin finished his third tap against the wood. Abel was grabbed and dragged inside, shocked that the little old woman was capable of making him move so abruptly.

"Tis about time you brought him back, ya pigeon," she grumbled to Kirin as she led Abel by the elbow to the small dining room table. He quickly took a seat, afraid what the woman might do if he tried to flee. Besides, atop the table was incentive enough for him to remain where he was. For Kirin had not been jesting when he told him that the woman would literally cook all he had.

If he does have any food left that is not on the table, it is likely only the apples remaining on their branches outside.

He had hoped not to be offered food until his two day stay was over and he was returned to the cage, but the smell alone made his mouth salivate. As he stared at the food, Kirin gave a frustrated sigh and dropped into the chair beside him. Or at least he tried to. Lady Lelynn was there and yanked it out from beneath him, sending the poor lawman to the floor, hard.

"My lady, while I know you can bribe your way out of anything I can possibly do to you, I would appreciate it if you not demean me in my own home. You cooked more than enough food, if not all of it, so I will take my fill at my table," Kirin growled as he got himself up. Then, with a frustrated grunt, he stalked around the table and sat down. While Kirin started to fill the empty plate sitting before him with a wide variety of steaming meats, sliced fruit, vegetables, and even a pudding tart, Lady Lelynn smirked and pushed the chair she'd removed from beneath him back to its spot. She then took a seat right beside Abel and, without bothering to ask, grabbed the plate set before him and heaped large amounts of meat and vegetables atop it. When she finally set it back down in front of him and offered a fork, Abel knew that his wanted fast would not happen. When he finally took the utensil and ate, Lady Lelynn turned her beady brown eyes to Kirin.