chapter sixteen

***

Dan packs more of his clothes into a cardboard box.

They're moving, not far away, but so their father will not know their home. Their father has been banned from the area, and his mother has a restraining order on him. He's now gone from their life.

The holidays have come and are almost gone - they go back to school tomorrow for the final term. His mother has finalized their house, so they'll be moved into their new house today, just in time for the new term.

"Dan? Need help?" A voice asks, and Dan turns around to see Phil poking his head into the doorframe.

Dan grins, but shakes his head, he only has a few more draws of clothes to go before he's done anyway. He motions for Phil to come in, so Phil sits on his bed instead and watches Dan shove the rest of his clothes into a box before closing it and taping it shut. Dan pushes the box to the side of the room before he joins Phil on the bare mattress.

"I can't believe you're moving to my street!" Phil says excitedly, smiling widely at Dan, starting his ramble, "that's so cool! I've always wanted a friend nearby me, and now I have one! I mean, it's bad why you have to move, but still, good things can come out of bad things right? Are you excited Dan?"

Dan gives Phil a sarcastic smile and thumbs up, then upon seeing Phil's hurt expression, falls into silent laughter, Phil following suit, only you can actually hear Phil's laugh, whereas Dan's just sounds like loud, uneven breaths.

"You're so mean and sarcastic sometimes, even without a voice," Phil says, pouting at Dan, who smiles innocently at his friend, "I'd almost hate to imagine what you'd say with a voice, you tease me enough without one."

Dan smiles, picking up his phone and texting Phil with it.

Dan: well I can tease you on here motherfucker!!!!!!

Phil: don't swear dan... I don't like it. :/

Dan: oh right, shit, sorry...

Phil: -_-

Dan: fuck I swore again! Sorry!

Phil: I hate you so much.

Dan: bitch that's rude.

Phil: seriously Dan!!!

Dan: oh no, I was talking to my imaginary female dog, she was using all the internet, which is rude.

Phil: haha. you're so funny.

Dan: I like to think so :)

"Dan the truck is here, all your stuff packed?" Dan's mother asks from downstairs, and Dan looks at Phil, nodding.

"Yeah he has Mrs Howell!" Phil yells, making Dan wince and cover his ears, frowning at Phil's loud voice in his ear.

"Sorry," Phil says, giggling, but Dan knows he isn't sorry.

"Have you labeled the boxes?" Phil asks, causing Dan's eyes to widen and for him to mentally curse - he knew he'd forgotten something!

Phil laughs, handing Dan a sharpie, and Dan frantically labels the boxes, scribbling words on them all messily before the movers arrive upstairs and start lifting the boxes downstairs. Dan circles his room, mentally saying goodbye before walking out, Phil trailing behind.

When the tuck is packed and the house is empty, Dan's mum hands the keys to the real estate agent who sold out house. They then get in the car, Quinn in the front, Dan and Phil in the back and Dan's mum driving. As they head towards Dan's new house, Phil starts to nod asleep, and his head finds its way onto Dan's arm during the seven minute car ride.