Prologue

I fiddled with the chain around my neck. My fingers traced over the burnt, scratched parts of it, where I'd tried to cut or burn it off.

It had been on since I was born, and no amount of damage to it had got it to come off. All the times I had tried were futile, because it would only come off when it was no longer needed.

But I didn't need it. I didn't even want it. It was just a reminder of how terrified I was.

I moved to the pendant dangling off the chain. My finger traced over the words I knew so well.

'Hey, be careful.'

I whispered them to myself, and frowned. What kind of a greeting was that? What tone would be used when it was said to me? Would it be a caring, concerned manner, or an abrasive one?

But most importantly, who would say it to me?

My soulmate, that's who.

Whoever he was. I didn't know. I didn't think I ever would.

Part of me was terrified of meeting them. No one was in a relationship unless it was with their soulmate. I'd never had a boyfriend, and I wasn't sure if be able to handle the ups and downs of a relationship that I was supposed to stay in for the rest of my life.

What if they were awful? What if they hated me? What if I wasn't safe with them? What then?

Yeah, so part of me was petrified. The other part of me was curious.

What would it be like to have someone the world had paired you with before you even met them? Would they be like me, or would we be polar opposites? How would we meet? What would I do to have them tell me to 'be careful'?

I'd like to say the fear won over. I'm not proud of the curious part of this. But who could blame me?

Wouldn't you want to see the world in colour for the first time in your life?

----------------------------------------------

okay so i'll introduce my story properly at the end of chapter one next, but first i just need to make something clear that will come apparent as you read on.

So the characters can't see colour unless in physical contact with their soulmates.

please note, they can still name colours.

this isn't just me being an idiot trying to describe something using a colour and forgetting the plot of my story, so i'll give you the reason that i have commented as answers to questions like these a few times, and copy and pasted now bc i am lazy. :)

okay so i have a friend who is fully colourblind, she can only see in shades of grey. she has still learnt that 'that particular shade of grey is that colour' so she can still name colours. if you asked her 'what colour is this' holding out a red object she could say 'red', because she has learnt that the particular shade of grey of that object is red. she understands and knows colours, but just can't see them the way that we see them.

if you still have questions and that above makes no sense, please comment. :)

Kx