Chapter 29: The Boy Appears

Start from the beginning

"But what was the award for?"

"For raising awareness," Brandon said.

"Raising awareness for what?"

"For the work of The Foundation."

"But what is the work of The Foundation?"

"Raising awareness," Brandon said.

"But how do they raise awareness?"

Brandon stared at Kim, confused as to why Kim was confused. "Through the work of The Foundation," he said, patiently.

Kim shook her head. The way that everyone in this world was super psyched all the time about everything the Foundation did was infuriating. "I have no idea what you're even talking about," Kim said, trying very hard not to scream the words. "Raising awareness is not an end goal. It's not even a real accomplishment or an effective form of change. Like every October all the yogurt lids turn pink to ~raise awareness~ for breast cancer, it's like WE ARE AWARE OF BREAST CANCER, MAKING THINGS PINK DOES NOT ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING."

"Kim, this world is facing some dire issues, in case you hadn't noticed, and raising awareness is the first step towards solving those problems."

"Is it?" Kim asked. "Why isn't solving the problems the first step?"

A look of fierce anger slashed down like lightning across Brandon's face. "Kim, that is--"

Kim took a step back and Brandon looked away, closing his eyes, inhaling deeply. When he turned back to Kim it was like he was a completely different person. Instead of the fight scene Kim had been expecting he was peace and butterflies and violins.

"That is," he continued, "what I love so much about you. Always business. You're all about the details. So focused. So results-oriented. The Foundation needs that. It's so wonderful that you're here."

Brandon reached for Kim's hand again. "Come on, you must be tired. Let me show you to your rooms."

Kim exhaled, the fight leaving her body and her adrenaline finding its normal level. She nodded. "Yeah, that'd be great."

~~~

They followed a path around the back to another series of buildings. Brandon pointed out which one was Cassio and Willow's, and the wing where Brandon stayed, and the suite that would be Kim's while she was here. But Brandon wanted to show her one more thing first.

Right next to the rooms where Kim would be staying there was a narrow, dim corridor. Kim would have missed it completely if Brandon hadn't pointed it out. They followed it out and emerged into the sunlight of a hidden courtyard, tucked away behind the living quarters. A secret garden within the villa, with ivied walls and lush wildflowers and a bubbling fountain in the center. It was romantic and magical and mysterious and unexpected and everything Kim loved.

"Omggggg," Kim said, shaking her hand free from Brandon's so she could take out her phone. "This is so cute! I love it! My room is right nearby? So I can come hang out here whenever?" She looked to Brandon for confirmation. He nodded. Kim whirled around, taking in the scene. "I am super into this. I need a couple of quick selfies before you drop me off at my room for a little disco nap."

Phone in hand, Kim began looking around, her head whipping from one direction to the next, thinking about the angle of the sun and the quality of light by the fountain vs the quality of light by the walls. Her mind running the millions of little calculations that lead to a good selfie, the calculus so advanced it looks like no math at all.

A selfie game plan appeared in her mind: she would do a couple photos over there and maybe the H5 or M3 VCSO filters would be good, and then she would take a few over there and see what Perfect365 had to say about it. She looked at her phone and went to open her camera and suddenly froze.