The Boy Next Door Owes Me Oreos (30)

Suddenly really into writing this. (:
Tell me what you think? Yes, kay thanks.

ALSO~~if you would be so kind as to post a comment with either Chase or Abels name (it can JUST be their name too) I want to know your favorite, I want to know who you like the most--and trust me every comment with a name in it counts. (: it's important.

 and if you wanna throw your opinion in on the strong twist here, i would like that too (:

The next morning it was even harder to practice with Chase. I was glad it was the early morning, and I kept thinking Coach wouldn't show up today like he hasn't show up any other day, because if he were me I would still be sleeping in bed at this time. It was hard to be nice to Chase, but he had a large smile on his face and was acting like he didn't get into an argument the night before with Coach about me.

Trying my best... didn't equal success this early morning as I clearly asked the wrong question, to which Chase answered with the wrong answer. “And what makes you think you have the right to continue to hold my iPod hostage?” I asked more firmly, glaring at him while I effortlessly kicked the ball as hard as I possibly could in his direction.

“Punishment of course. Why do you need it back?” He asked sarcastically, and I just stared at him in amazement.

“I've gone about a week and a half without it... punishment sufficient thanks but like every other teenager out in the world I like to drown the world out with the wails of music that I can relate to. That and I have a crazy long drive to the airport tomorrow morning... like incredibly early in the morning and I would prefer not listening to Imus in the Morning.” I explained patiently, the edge evident in my voice.

“Airport? Where are you going to early in the season?” Chase asked curiously, ignoring my initial question.

“I'm not going anywhere, stupid. I'm picking my friend up and I swear if you ask if she's hot I will punch you in the testicles.” I insisted, making Chase laugh as he kicked the ball back to me just as aggressive.

We did that a couple times, until Chase continued speaking. “Are you excited about starting next week?” Weirdly, his voice wasn't upset like it was last night and it caught me off guard. I spent the morning thinking of clever comebacks to throw at him if he started getting hostile... but I didn't have a tactic to tackle this side of the subject.

“..Couldn't you tell by the awkward happy dance?” I asked sarcastically, abandoning the ball and suggesting we end the practice by running laps.

“Nope, I was too busy staring at you a**.” Immediately at his pigheaded words I stopped running as I threw my arm out in Chase's path, knocking him on his butt. I stared down at him, watching as he grabbed his chest and tried breathing in and out. “Crazy... bi***” He wheezed and I rolled my eyes.

“The comments about my body need to end, Captain.” I spat the name he preferred me to call him before walking off to the locker room in rapid speed. I was already dressed, and brushing my teeth again in the only sink in the locker room when Chase finally came in; my iPod in hand.

“Here.” Chase said roughly, throwing my very much missed baby on my track bag before walking off to the shower room without another word, which I didn't mind.

I spent the rest of the day, against myself, thinking about why Chase acted the way he did. The school day passed in very much of a blur of thoughts, so much so that Jamie and Abel noticed, and practice dragged on painfully, literally. Because of the upcoming game, Coach was riding us much harder than usual and we spent more of the practice running. When we finally got out, there was only one place I wanted to be, and that was my bed but it had been too long since I had bothered Abel in his yard that I figured it was time to get over there.

My Mom dropped me off in front of his house, despite the fact I told her I was capable of walking, to which she pointed out the very festive limp I was sporting due to a developing blister on my right heel. I sighed heavily before getting out, and promised my Mom I would be home within the hour because it was already getting late.

To my amazement, Abel wasn't laying in the overgrown grass, he wasn't even sitting on his porch which I'd only ever seen him do a handful of times. I was nervous as I walked up the steps, and paused before knocking on the door but before my hand even met the hard wood it was already swinging open.

“Oh Sylvia!” Abel's Mom, whose name I don't think I have ever head, said excitedly wrapping her long, thin wiry arms around me and squeezed me tightly. I don't know what caused me to tense, maybe it was the fact I didn't even know this woman's name, let along given her the invitation to hug me but mostly it was probably out of fear I might hurt this fragile thing.

When she pulled away, the first thing I noticed was her impossibly high and defiant cheek bones, second being the dark circles under her eyes from nights of sleeplessness. She looked much too old to be Abel's Mom, and I might have questioned the relation if it wasn't for the big blue eyes that were stunning even sunken back so deeply.

My heart immediately went out to her, this woman who meant the entire world to someone I considered myself to be very close with. Her bony body was dressed in a long, old yet awkwardly fitted dress. It gave me the impression that at one time, it was tailored to someone-- but not this petite woman.

“It's so good to finally meet you under good circumstances!” She said, her excitement not seizing as she pulled me into the living room. “I'm Sarah by the way, Abel's Mother. He has told me so much about you!” Color flooded into my face, as embarrassment settled in.

“I don't know what he's told you, but their all lies!” I smiled, trying not to cry. This woman, with the sunken eyes that almost looked black and blue due to lack of sleep, without an ounce of fat on her body had to live in a house with a waste of space husband... all I wanted to do was hug her again I feared it would be awkward again.

Her house, like the last time was in pristine condition. Not a trace of dust anywhere, the hutch that held the TV was securely closed, and the couch still looked untouched. It made sense now, the whole house looking untouched, with a crazy, abusive husband I would try everything in my power as well to not give him a reason to get angry. But I had seen this woman before, briefly as Abel had to lead me out of the house before his step Dad entered... how come I didn't notice the horrible condition his Mother was in?

“Oh please! Everything he has said is one hundred percent accurate, the one thing he didn't mention was how cute you are!” She said, playing with my hair that was in a high pony tail. It wasn't just her who loved touching my impossibly long hair, everyone seemed to at one point or another but her touch was light and almost undetectable. I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't watching her. My cheeks remained red. “Abel is in the basement, I should probably go get him before I spoil you with compliments.” She laughed wholeheartedly before walking out of the living room, presumably to do as she said.

Thoughts came endlessly. They weren't petty or pointless, like why Chase acted the way he did, and why he gave me my iPod when he did... they were surrounded once again by Abel who didn't mention that his Mother was suffering from some form of cancer, and was clearly going through a treatment of chemo. Maybe it wasn't clear, but I remember the hopefulness in her eyes, and the hollow feeling in her bones from my Uncle who passed away from pancreatic cancer a few years back when I was twelve.

It was obvious to me that Sarah was dying slowly only because I had spent my entire summer that year at his house, making sure he always had something to drink or eat... until he couldn't keep solids down anymore. Then I was always handy when he wanted a cheap Popsicle. For the longest time he had been able to walk, but then it became a challenging task to make it to the kitchen table let alone the bathroom.

I was all too familiar with this, and I felt the perfect bare living room walls closing in on me. I had accepted the death of my uncle years ago, that wasn't what was making me feel so claustrophobic it was the fact Abel hadn't told me. He had enough courage, and enough trust in me to tell me about what I thought was the worth aspect of his life... his abusive step father but he couldn't tell me about his ill mother.

It was pointless staying there another second in the hopes to have a conversation with Abel. My throat was tight and aching from unreleased tears and I rushed from the living room and out of the front door without speaking to anyone because I knew if I opened my mouth I would cry. My feet were incredibly loud against his porch steps as I ran from his house. Maybe it was stupid to react this way, but a flood of emotions came at once and there was no talking that could help this.

Abel's Mom, no matter how happy she was, was dying... it was as plain as day. How hadn't I noticed? Why wasn't I told?

I felt so selfish, but I was hurt... I was hurt that Abel couldn't tell me this, even though he told me something else. Wasn't knowledge of his home life enough? I shook my head as I jogged down the street. The sun was setting directly in front of me, making it hard to see but I wasn't deaf.

“Sylvia! Hey!” Abel yelled, trying to catch up with me. I should have ran faster, because I knew I could if necessary out run Abel... but he knew where I lived and knew the easiest way into my house after hours was my bedroom.

Quickly Abel caught up to me, a difference was the fact he seemed out of breath.

“Sylvia.. why did you just leave like that?” He asked, sounding hurt until he say my face and suddenly all feeling besides anger was out of his face. Abel grabbed both my arms to secure my stable feet on the ground. “Who? Was it Chase? I knew you being around him too much would cause something, what did he do? What Syl-”

“Why didn't you tell me?” I whispered, a second thought being what we looked like to the cars passing by due to how tightly he was holding my arms.

“What?” He breathed, his face with red blotches on it from excretion.

“Your Mom... she...” I swallowed hard and painful, as I watched hurt and realization flash across his face and my heart ached. “Am I being a horrible person right now?” I asked. “I feel so selfish...” I cried and suddenly I was in Abel's arms.

“I'm sorry.” Abel insisted, rubbing my back. “She was recovered up until a week ago... and the chemo hit her really hard. I should have told you, but with soccer and with Jamie sitting at our table we haven't really had time.. I'm sorry.” He repeated and I frowned, wrapping my arms around him.

“No... No you don't need be sorry. I'm just being stupid right now, you don't have to tell me anything you don't want to. I should understand that you want privacy.” I explained, but my tears continued.

“I don't really have privacy when it comes to you, and I like it like that.” He reassured. “It has only been a week... she's been in and out of treatment for years now. She's going to be fine.” Abel pulled me away, and he looked so sure that I felt so dumb. I brought my hand back to wipe my tears away and I coughed awkwardly.

“I'm so dumb, I'm sorry.”

“No, really. I was so scared that..” I made a face as Abel trailed off, “I was scared Chase hit you. He's done it before you know and I don't I kind of have this never ending fear that every guy you come in contact with will hurt you.” he admitted and I smiled lightly. “Now who feels stupid.” Abel pointed out sarcastically, and I pulled my arms back around him to hold him in the tightest hug possible.

“You're too cute!” I smiled into his neck, and just then it didn't matter what car drove by because I felt really happy just hugging him. 

********************************

If You Don't Read This, START. I need you to comment below with your favorite male character in this story out of Abel or Chase. Who do you want to see Sylvia end up with? This is SUPER IMPORTANT, it dictacts EVERYTHINGG I'm writing next so if you would be so kind as to just either Chase or Abel. (:

TAANKSSSS (: