"Three way! Orgy!" And the moment was ruined.

June 18, 1998

I didn't end up seeing Nathan on Sunday. But today after school, Nathan, Daniel and I walked to my house. We sat in the backyard and talked, and when it started to rain we moved under the deck.

Daniel kept telling me how I should kiss Nathan, and I kept trying to avoid the topic. When my mom came home, she told us to get inside quick because we would get wet in the rain.

So we went down to the family room and played Truth or Dare. Daniel gave me a Dare: "I dare you to kiss Nathan!" [I probably should have seen that one coming.]

I said, "Okay, um... after the game." Nathan said, "Okay, the game's over!"

I said, "But I can't kiss you." Daniel said, "Why not?" "Well, Daniel's right here watching... plus, it would be weird." Nathan said, "Yeah, I know."

Then he wrapped himself up in a blanket that was thrown over the back of the couch. He looked at me and he had the blanket over his face, and I said, "Take the blanket off your head." He said, "Why?" I said, "I can't see your face!" He said, "No, I like it. It keeps me warm."

Then Daniel did something funny and I cracked up laughing. Nathan put his blanket-covered hand over my mouth. Then he said, "Can I do that again?" I said, "Put your hand over my mouth? Sure, I guess." "Yeah. Only... with my mouth?" [Nathan with the pick-up line FTW!]

I giggled and he lifted the blanket and put it over my head, too, so that we were under it together. He said, "Let's be like The Brady Bunch. You're dreamy." I laughed, "You're groovy. Oh - my hair is getting all static-y because of this blanket!" He said, "That's okay. You're pretty no matter what."

Then Daniel popped under the blanket and yelled, "Three way! Orgy!" And the moment was ruined. [You don't say.] We ended up in a jumble on the floor, kicking and wrestling with each other - all three of us. Then Daniel's mom came and picked them up.

Nathan wrote me a note today:

Hi Emily,

Sorry about what I said about going to first base. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

I don't see why you hang around with Michelle. Some days you hate her, but today she borrowed your glasses. What's up with that? Don't mislead her into thinking that you're her friend. If you don't like her, just tell her or have someone else tell her that you don't want to hang out with her.

So, what are you doing in the summer? I'm going to a couple of camps but those are only like two hours a day and they're kind of fun so they're okay. I hope we can hang out a lot this summer at the club because you, me, and Daniel are all members.

Gotta go!

Nathan

[The Brady Bunch movie had just come out in 1995, so that explains why it was still on our radar.]