Chapter 1

Witches? Are witches good or bad? Does anyone know? Is there a right answer? Or is it a philosophical question? More than one answer. Does it depend on your definition of witches to say whether they're good or bad?

I can tell you that I'm a witch and I'm not bad at all. I wouldn't hurt a fly. Well, technically I would if it was buzzing around and getting on my nerves. I would probably splat it with those splat things you use to kill them.

By the way, I found out that I was a witch quite recently actually. A couple of weeks ago. If not less. I wasn't freaked out at all about it. I was more in shock. I mean, who would have thought? Me? A witch? No way. But it's true. I am a witch.

It was my parents who told me I was a witch by the way. They told me at dinner at 7 pm.

Flashback

"Honey, we have to tell you something very important and we have no idea what you're going to feel about it," my mother explained. My mother was called Elizabeth by the way. She was average height and quite pretty. "We have no idea what your reaction is going to be and we just want to tell you, it's nothing to be worried about," she continued.

"Your mother took the words right out of my mouth Sweety. It's nothing to be worried about. You might find it quite interesting and a bit of fun too!" My dad added. His name was Anthony. He had a really loving face.

"Ok. What is it?" I inquired. "Nothing to do with me having an injection or blood test, right?"

I had a really bad phobia of injections and blood tests. I absolutely hated them. Injections sting the hell out of me and blood tests take my blood, which is wrong. Blood is supposed to stay in the body. It shouldn't come out. Just then my parents burst out laughing.

"Of course it has nothing to do with injections and blood tests. If it did your mum wouldn't have mentioned that it would be interesting and a bit of fun!" My dad pointed out.

"Exactly!" My mum laughed.

"Ok. I guess that was quite a stupid thing to think, but just tell me!" I almost shouted so they could hear me in between their loud giggles.

"You're a witch," my mum told me.

I stayed silent for a second, trying to take this in. Then I thought, whatever.

"You almost got me. Now tell me the truth," I begged, desperate for some honesty.

"Your mother's right Sweety, you're a witch and-"

"Enough with the Honey's and the Sweety's!" I interrupted my dad. "I have a name. Use it!"

"Sorry," my mum apologised.

"Thank you," I politely responded.

"Ok. Back to the witch thing Cleo," my dad said calmly, looking at me seriously in the face. "You really are a witch. So are your mother and I. Basically, the whole family are."

"I don't believe you," I said with a quick glance at both my parents and then carried on eating. It was Chicken pie by the way. And when I said I didn't believe them, I meant it. How could I be a witch? Witches didn't even exist. I mean logically, it's impossible for them to exist.

"You may not believe us Cleo, but we can prove it to you," my mother told me.

"Prove it then," I cheekily answered.

I don't know why but my mum went to get an old candle and placed it in front of me. Then she said, "Stare at it and concentrate. Focus on where the flame should be. Put all your energy into focusing. You may think this is the most stupid thing you've ever done but just trust me. Do it."

My mum was right. This was the most stupid thing I've ever done however I did as she was told. I stared and focused at where the flame should be. I imagined that it was actually there, even though it wasn't. I concetrated, never losing my concentration. All of a sudden, a shiny, flickering, orangy-blue flame appeared. My eyes widened in shock and my heart leaped in my rib cage. Did I just do that? Terrified, I blew it out.

"Cleo, why did you blow it out?"

"That was weird. I mean I'm not freaked out or anything. I'm just saying that that was weird. Did I do that mum?" I asked.

"You did and that isn't the only thing you can do. You can tell the future," my mum replied.

"How do I do that?"

"By holding someone's hands and closing your eyes and doing the exact same thing as what you did with the candle," my dad answered. "Focus all your energy on the person and a blur of images will appear in your mind. You won't be able to understand them until you're completely concentrating."

"Try on me," my mum said holding out her hands.

I took them shakily. I did what my dad told me and surprisingly, it worked! I could see my mum choosing an outfit for the night of her friend's birthday which was taking place next week. I could see her having a little fight with my dad about bills which I wasn't happy about. I hated it when my parents argued. Even more images came swirling around my brain while I tried to understand them. Even though this was pretty weird, it was kind of cool!  I wondered if there was anything else that I could do.

"It worked!" I exclaimed. "Is there anything else I can do?"

Letting go of my hands, my mum replied, "Funny you should ask because there is! You can light candles but you can also make fire by doing the same thing. Focusing your energy on where you want to make the fire. It isn't a popular witch power favourite, but it can come in handy sometimes. You can also put the fire out, as well as the flame. Another thing you can do which is the last thing unfortunately is you can heal people. You just have to say a chant standing next to the wounded person and they automatically get healed!"

"What's the chant?" I asked.

My mum started to say a chant. I couldn't make out the language but I guess I would find out later. Wow. A witch could do all these powers? I could do all these powers? I was still in shock and I thought it was quite weird but still! Wow!

"I believe you now," I told me parents grinning, and they returned me a grin back. 

End of flashback

Yeah so that's how it went when I found out I was a witch. At first I found it quite shocking and weird but now I think it's the coolest thing ever!

Once in a science lesson we had to use a bunsen burner. My teacher was doing an example of how the experiment should go and I kept making the flame go out which was cool! It was hilarious! I literally fought back my laughter! I even healed somebody and they got the shock of their life when they saw their healed wound. Again, when that had happened, I fought back laughter. I didn't tell the future of anybody though but I sometimes played around with it on my parents.

 This was the coolest thing in the whole world. I guess I was a bit stubborn by not believeing my parents straight away when they said I was a witch, but hey, who would?

I was a witch, and I was really going to enjoy this lifetime of being one!