Chapter Nine ~Maddie~

Start from the beginning

Leaning my head against my knees, I look at her and say the only words that come to mind, "I'm so, so sorry. I know that doesn't help, but what happened to you guys is horrible. You didn't deserve to lose your parents that way..." The anger I feel finds its way to the surface and fuels my next words, "The Hunters are vile, disgusting human beings, and they all deserve worse than what they did to your parents. I only hope that one day they get what's coming to them."

I say it with such conviction that it startles me. I'm disgusted and angry for Aiden and Alex. What happened to their parents is appalling, disturbing. They were murdered in cold blood. So that's what our government does, what the Hunters do to anyone who doesn't fall in line with their sick plans? My stomach churns. If that's the way the Hunters handled that situation, I can only imagine what life as a Breeder is really like.

I knew running was the right thing to do.

Alex pulls me away from the dark place my mind has wandered. "You sound like Aiden." The faintest smile tugs at her lips but disappears before I'm sure I saw it.

"What?" I ask, a little confused.

"He said the same thing. That the Hunters will get what's coming to them, even if he has to do it himself," she answers.

"Oh."

"Anyway," she continues, "I think his nightmares were worse tonight because of our run in with the Hunter's today."

"That makes sense. I could tell he was shaken up. In the week I've known you guys he's been so carefree and easy going, I could even say arrogant and a pain in the ass?"

She chuckles lightly, a feeble attempt.

I continue, "But today he was straight forward, composed, serious. He kept to himself. That doesn't seem like him."

She shakes her head. "It's not. He uses humor to hide the pain and I get that, I do. Hell, I've used it as an escape too, but he was forced to face reality today. I know seeing those Hunters brought him back to the day our parents were killed."

"Yeah, I'm still rattled and I've never seen them before today, so I can only imagine what it was like for you guys." In fact, I've never been so scared in my entire life aside from the night I started my period, but that pales in comparison to how I felt when Aiden yelled for us to "Find something to hide behind and get the fuck down on the ground!" and when he growled, "Don't move a fucking inch, it's the Hunters."

Time stopped, and I think my heart might have stopped too. When Aiden screamed his commands, I hit the ground so hard that I'll be bruised for days. Lying on the gravel waiting for the cars to pass felt like an eternity. I watched through a barely there bush as sleek black cars sped by, one after the other for long minutes. With windows rolled down, nameless faces searched the area, and for the first time since being on the run, I felt hunted.

We stayed on the ground long after the last car passed by, my heart still pounding out of my chest. Aiden moved to stand but ordered us to lie and wait for him to check the area. After another short eternity he returned, letting us get up off the ground. The rest of the day was spent walking in silence until we ended up here, occupying another old abandoned house, in another small town.

I shiver at the memory. Seeing the Hunters for the first time terrified me right down to the bone. How they didn't see us, I have no idea. I can't help but think that we got lucky, and it's only a matter of time before our luck runs dry.

"I think he fell back asleep." Alex says, interrupting my thoughts.

"Okay. I'm gonna go lay back down," I reply.